A blog about "nothing"!

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Facebook...You Suck.

I've never been a big fan of Facebook and I make no bones about it.  I think it is a serious time waster, and most of my friends who are on it usually just complain about it.  I hear of countless arguments, being "friended" by someone you don't really like and so on.  I'd never bothered to set up an account because I just didn't care for what I was hearing.

Recently I decided I would sign up for it, primarily to follow a favorite rock band.  I had no real intentions of using it as a "social" kind of thing.  I set up my account, friended a few people that I know and was basically just minding my own business.  It was fun because I'd reconnected with someone who I used to talk to on Twitter all the time and missed when she left.  The fun didn't last long.

I went to log in the day after I started the account, only to discover that my account had been disabled.  They wanted me to do some verification type stuff, and I didn't have an issue with what they were asking for so I did it.  I had to wait a few days and then I could get back in.  And then I was locked out again for "a high volume of activity".  WTH?!  4 friends is a high volume of activity?  I wasn't on long enough to even do anything.  I had to go through the whole process again.  A few days later I was back on...only to be locked out again within 24 hours for the same reason.  As I write this, I'm still waiting to get my account reactivated again.  So I myself can disable it.  I give up.

I'm not 100% sure what the problem is, but I suspect it has to do with my name.  I do not use my exact name as is on any of my government issued paperwork.  If I did, no one would know it is me!  I've never used that name in my personal life, and I find it absurd to think that something that simple would be an issue.  However, upon searching the internet, I find I'm not alone and that things actually are worse for many people than for me.

Facebook has been asking some people to upload images of their government issued ID's just to prove they are who they say they are.  I find this to be absolutely appalling!  In an age where we are told over and over again to be careful with who we share personal information with, I'm shocked that they can even think that this is a bit okay.  It isn't, and as I told another friend, it smacks of the book 1984.  Big brother IS watching...even if only to sell your name to someone who wants to market to you.  Or worse.  I don't get it.  I also question the legality of it.  What makes me even angrier is there are plenty of fake accounts out there on Facebook and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which ones they are.  Even Mark Zuckerberg, the founder, stated his dog has a Facebook account.  A bit hypocritical, don't you think??  And supposedly, all of this security is to protect us.  Sorry, but I don't think so.  I actually know of a person out there who, using her real name on Facebook, stole a bunch of photos from another woman's account so she could catfish someone!  I see it's working real well there.

While mine is just a frustrating situation, as I read several articles on the subject, I came across countless situations where one would not want to use their real name, and I think that there are certainly legitimate reasons for not wanting to do so.  Someone who has been the victim of domestic violence may not want to use their real name.  Someone who is a member of the LGBQT community who has had issues with being harassed may not want to either.  And there are many entertainers who use Facebook who have accounts under their personality name instead of their real name!  How does that work?  Or is it because they are famous, they can get away with it?

All I know is that I give up.  I don't really care anymore.  Something better will come along soon enough and I will sign up for that.  As long as they don't require me to use my "real" name.  Because that isn't ME! Just waiting to get back "in" so I can officially get "out".  Ugh!

2 comments:

dan said...

I am not a fan of Facebook either and only signed up because I needed for something else that I had to do ( I forgot what precisely was).
What happened to you is quite annoying and I agree that there are cases when is not wise sign up with the real name.
Probably very soon there will be something better than Facebook!
And we two will be ready for it!! :-)

Flo said...

It's hard in certain instances not to have an account, a friend of mine has to have one for her job. I just hate when we have to be so reliant on technology like that and the companies take advantage of it.

Maybe we should invent the next big thing?!?!