A blog about "nothing"!

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

One man's trash...

Almost 8 years ago, we bought matching recliners for our living room.  I joked they were "his and hers".  We moved them to the new house and they got a lot of use.  Earlier this year a spring went on the one my husband used.  Not too long after, the whole recliner assembly in mine broke.  I had my nephew look at it to see if it could be repaired, but it could not.  Fortunately we had another recliner in our now unused basement family room (hubby converted it to an office when his job changed) so we brought it up.  We still needed another one though, so this past weekend we went shopping and I found one that I really liked.  It was delivered today and I'm sitting in it as I type.  :)

Last night in preparation for it's arrival, we had to do some re-arranging in the living room.  The plan was that my old chair would go out to the curb since it was in the worst shape.  My husband's old one would go in the spot for the spare chair, and the recliner we already had would become his.  It worked out well that the delivery was today as garbage collection was this morning, so we could put the broken one out for garbage pick-up and not have to look at it for long. 

When we went to take it outside, we didn't get it started through the door right and it got stuck.  We had to do some moving it around to get it out, and while we were doing that, the neighbor across the street saw us and yelled over to see if we needed help.  We managed to get it out and my husband drug it to the curb.  As he was doing so, he yelled back to the neighbor "it's broke, so I don't care what kind of shape it is when I get it there."  The neighbor responded with "I bet it's gone within 2 hours!"  I laughed.

Not even an hour had passed when I heard something outside.  My husband looked out the window, and sure enough, there was someone loading it into their van!!  Not sure what they were going to do with it, I'm hoping perhaps pull out the metal parts for recycling.  It certainly wasn't repairable, and it wasn't comfortable anymore either.  Whatever.  It's gone and someone else's problem now.

I told my sister about it, and she remembered an incident with a sofa sitting out along the curb.  She actually stopped to check it out, only to discover it smelled to the high heavens!  She said that later on, she saw a bunch of college kids loading it up.  The funny part was that further down the road, there was the sofa again, apparently once they got it inside the vehicle, they discovered it's bad aroma and ditched it.  At least the chair didn't stink, it just didn't work.  Perhaps it's headed to a fraternity house somewhere and will live it's days out by having beer spilled on it.  RIP chair!

2 comments:

dan said...

Often someone else can use what we don't need anymore...as it was broken probably he only recycled its pieces...


I wish a long life to your new recliner!! :-)

Flo said...

That's what I'm thinking too--we have a lot of people who tear things apart to recycle the scrap metal.