A blog about "nothing"!

Monday, July 25, 2016

I've been doing things right and I didn't even know it!

Hi everyone!  I just got home from the hospital on Saturday after having a procedure done to correct/eliminate the heart problem that landed me in the hospital back in March while I had the flu.  Glad that is over with, feeling good, just a bit sore.  I have to watch what I do for a week or so, but other than that, back to business!  Fingers crossed that what they did will take care of it.

I encountered something while I was in the hospital though that I definitely did not expect.  I can't tell you how many times I had someone tell me how healthy I am.  I'm not going to lie, I am overweight, but when I have my bloodwork done, usually the only thing that is even close to being an issue is my cholesterol, and it's not even bad enough to consider medication.  I take no medications at all and several of the nurses as well as the person who took my data when I was registering said that it was extremely unusual for a person of my age not to have to take any medications.  For once in my life, I'm the exception and not the rule! 

I'm not someone who watches what I eat continuously.  I do have to watch to a certain extent because of my food allergies, but otherwise, I generally don't deny myself something.  I'm not in the habit of eating deep fried foods, my oven is my best friend, but I do eat them periodically.  Most of my weight gain I attribute to inactivity because of my completely screwed up knee.  I never had a weight issue until that happened, I've always been a fairly active person.  I actually think that is part of the reason my doctor is hesitant to refer me for a knee replacement just yet, he knows me well enough to figure out that it wouldn't take long for me to wear it out. 

I come from a family with a not so great history of heart disease as well as respiratory ailments.  However, most of those people also smoked for a period (if not all) of their lives.  The only cigarettes I've had in my life were 2 that I bummed back in my (much) younger days during a night of heavy drinking.  Smoking is one of those habits that I've never quite understood, plus I'm too cheap to spend that much money on something like that.  I used to tell my mother that it was just a dirty habit, why not pick your nose instead, at least that is free!  I also learned very early on that salt is the enemy.  I use table salt very sparingly, there are only two things that you will ever see me salt before I start eating them: cottage cheese and corn on the cob.  Otherwise, it's not very often you will see me salt something.  I think we still have the same container of salt that I bought when we moved in here 6 years ago and most of it has been used either by my husband or when I disinfect the sink.  I really do think that by not eating much salt, I have managed to avoid some of the heart issues that other family members have had to deal with.

There has been one thing that I've done my whole life that I never thought about in a million years as being a good thing.  Every morning for breakfast since I was in grade school, I've had a glass of chocolate milk.  I love milk and I love chocolate, so it just seemed like the best thing in the whole world.  When I was in grade school we had chocolate milk available to go with the lunches.  Then someone decided to take away chocolate milk because it wasn't good for us.  We rebelled big time!  I don't know of many instances when a class of 140 sixth graders got their point across as well as we did, but we got our chocolate milk back.  We organized our own form of protest by having everyone bring their own lunch on that day instead of buying the one the school offered, it even trickled into the 5th grade.  We were mad and we wanted our chocolate milk back.  I shudder to think about how much food was thrown out that day because it went unsold.  But it worked and we got our chocolate milk back.  After reading an article this past weekend about chocolate milk, I'd love to find the moron who made that original decision so I could shove it into their face as to just how wrong they were.

Turns out that chocolate milk is fantastic for you!  I was really surprised at the info in the article, I never in a million years would have thought about the benefits.  In fact, chocolate milk is better for athletes to drink after a work out than most of the sports drinks available or even water!  Take that misinformed person in 1976 who took our chocolate milk away!! I've since read several articles that are similar in information, and I now understand part of why I may be heavy but healthy, I may have a higher muscle tone than the average overweight person.  Who knew?!?!

So, now I just have to make it to 100, for no reason other than to have someone ask me "what do you attribute your long life to?" My reply: "CHOCOLATE MILK!"

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefit-drinking-chocolate-milk-athletes-6965.html

https://www.childrenscolorado.org/conditions-and-advice/new-and-featured-articles/sports-nutrition/10-benefits-of-drinking-chocolate-milk-for-nutrition-recovery/

http://www.healthyeating.org/Milk-Dairy/Dairy-Facts/Chocolate-Milk.aspx

2 comments:

dan said...

Very happy to hear that chocolate milk is good for a healthy lifestyle because ... I really love both!!!


(And even more happy to hear that you are feeling good now...)

Flo said...

Thanks Dan! Chocolate is the perfect food. ;)