A blog about "nothing"!

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Turkey Dinner Redo!

I'm cooking a turkey dinner today.  No special reason.  When they had turkeys on sale around Thanksgiving, I bought a second and kept in the freezer with the idea to cook it sometime during the grey and gloomy days of winter.  Little did I know that it would be such a great idea!
Our Thanksgiving dinner went fine except for one hitch which prevented us from having our traditional dinner of left overs after the holiday.  Everything turned out great...except the gravy.

Because of my wheat allergy, I use corn starch to thicken my gravy.  I've never had an issue before with lumps, but this time it was a bit of a mess.  I put the first round of corn starch in and it didn't seem to thicken AT ALL.  So I did it again, and next thing I knew, I could see these giant lumps forming, yuck.  I got out my immersion blender and managed to "repair" the problem, but the worst was yet to come.  My husband went out to the kitchen to get seconds, and when he came back to the table he said "boy, that's some weird gravy, it has an inch of skin on it already!"  By the time we were done eating dinner, the whole pan had solidified!!!!  My nephew's comment was that I had made "Turkey Jello" for dessert. (Ewwwww)  I left it on the stove until I cleaned things up in the morning and I literally just walked over to the garbage can with the pan, turned it upside down, and solidified gravy came out.  I was not only highly ticked off, but also puzzled as to what went wrong.

After I thought about it, I remembered that the last batch of something I made with gravy in it had issues with minor lumps.  Hmmm...then I realized that when I made that batch, I had some corn starch from an old package and some from the new one I had just bought.  So I got the can out--Clabber Girl, which I had used before with no issues.  Then I noticed something on it that I hadn't seen before: "fortified with calcium".  It really made me wonder, so on my next trip out, I bought a totally different brand of corn starch and next time I made gravy, I used it instead.  No lumps! 

Anyone else ever have an issue with this???  I still have the can of Clabber Girl, I thought maybe I could use it for baking, but now I'm thinking I probably should just toss it in case it's a bigger issue than just the calcium.  Very strange.  Looking forward to my turkey dinner today though...and leftovers over the weekend!!! :)

4 comments:

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

I am totally craving turkey dinner now, LOL! Hope you enjoy the feast! Sorry, can't help with the lumpy gravy issue. I've used buckwheat in lieu of wheat with success, but not often enough to urge you to try it!

dan said...

Funny ! Better read everything on the can next time!! :-)

Flo said...

I'm happy to report that my gravy turned out just fine this time, so it's definitely something with that cornstarch. I finished using up leftover turkey last night, made the hubby turkey salad for in his lunch. And I had enough gravy left that I could freeze the leftover stuffing for him to enjoy later.

dan said...

A meat salad is a good idea for unsing leftovers! When I prepare it with chiken, I add celery and Parmigiano cheese ...