A blog about "nothing"!

Monday, February 15, 2016

Moving Right Along

Here we are, halfway through February.  I can't believe it, a month and a half of a new year already gone.  What has everyone been doing?

I for one have been trying to clean out some stuff.  I say trying because at the moment, Ebay is moving at a snails pace.  I've had a few things go, but other things that I thought would go flying out the door are still sitting in the pile in my dining room.  Ugh.  I'm hoping that it's winter doldrums and the fact that all those folks who got their credit card statements from Christmas are still recovering.  I know many years ago when I worked in retail, January and February were always slow, but once income tax season got underway, we started to see business improve.  Fingers crossed that it will work that way.  In the meantime, I'm still plugging away.

My current project is my kitchen.  Over the past few months I've been paying closer attention when I'm getting into a cupboard and drawer at what is in there that hasn't been used.  We moved just over 5 years ago and I'm looking at things from the "if it hasn't been used since we moved in, it definitely has to go!"  Anything under the 5 year mark has to be evaluated.  I've gone through 3 cupboards and 4 drawers and I already have a large box full of stuff to go to charity.  Collanders I didn't like, a set of pots that the handles get hot on (and burnt me, grrr!), a few kitchen gadgets that didn't work all that well-gone.  I'm probably close to halfway, and I know of a number of other items that will be gone when it's over with.  I think I'm going to need more boxes.

It used to be hard for me to get rid of things, I will admit it.  As I've gotten older though, I tend to look at things from a much more practical angle.  Last year a friend of mine got on a purge kick and she said something that really resonated with me.  If you haven't used it, get rid of it.  Don't keep it with the idea you might need it.  Get rid of it with the thought that if you never need it again, look at the space you gained.  Worst case scenario is that you might have to go buy another one if by chance you did need it.  Chances are you won't!

In the spirit of the title of this post, I thought I'd share a video.  Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMR5JVo21wQ

3 comments:

dan said...

For some reason, all homes are full of things you never use, whose only purpose is to keep room and collect dust! And yet ... it seems very hard to get rid of them!!
I should do some cleaning up too! :-)

Flo said...

So true Dan, so true! I have a friend who says "we spend the first half of our lives acquiring things and the second half getting rid of them!"

dan said...

:-) you have a very smart friend!!