A blog about "nothing"!

Friday, December 4, 2015

A Different Approach to Holiday Decorating

I used to love the decorate for the holidays.  Any holiday, not just Christmas.  As I've gotten older though, I find it less enjoyable with every year.  And then there is the whole job of taking it all down too.  Yuck.

I think part of the problem is that our family and celebrations have changed over the years, and we now have very few "little persons" who come to our home for any holidays.  The majority of them have grown up and moved on, with a few of them having kids of their own.  I've discussed this with friends, and they agree that part of the fun of decorating is seeing the look on a kids face.  Time marches on.

I've weeded out quite a few of my Christmas decorations, and I intend to weed some more.  My plan is on Tuesday of next week to take a box to be donated.  I'm much more selective about what I put up.  But it still hasn't eliminated the dread of doing it all.

Last year I came up with a plan, and it worked very well.  I decided to have my own "12 days of Christmas", starting December 1st.  Each day I had to put up a decoration (or group of decorations like stockings, wreaths, etc).  On December 13th (my hubby's birthday) I do the last decoration which is the tree.  We don't have a big tree, so it's not as bad as in previous years, and it's sort of like saving the best for last.  The nicest part is when I was done, I wasn't annoyed or tired, and the house looked nice.  When the season was over, I just did the reverse, took down one or two decorations each day and put them away.  I do have to say that the way we have our decorations stored at this house makes this a much easier thing to do as well.

I have to admit that I'm already behind though.  First off, the date got away from me and I didn't realize December 1st had come and gone!  Wednesday I had a lot going on so it didn't get done that day either.  So yesterday I did a half catchup and put up two different things, and will do the same tomorrow.  Easy enough.

Does anyone else hate holiday decorating?  I think the other contributing factor to my dislike is that retailers have Christmas stuff out for sale earlier and earlier, and by the time it comes time to put them up, you are already suffering from overexposure. 

Now if I can just find a painless way to do Christmas cards and gift wrapping...

7 comments:

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

What a great idea Flo. I like decorating for Christmas, but I am finding that shortly after I decorate I pay little to no attention to all the lovely things I've put out. Your twelve days of Christmas concept would be good for me...I'd enjoy the anticipation and feel more engaged. I know that last year I wanted to leave things out for longer than I usually do, and so I put things gradually away. My friend and I rationalize that snowmen etc., aren't technically Christmas decorations anyways...they're winter decorations, and we need all the colour and cheer we can get during the dark days of the season.

Anonymous said...

Yes, holiday decorating has turned in to one of my most hated favorite things.I am going to start today and do some catch up also, and perhaps by the 14th I will have all the stuff up that is truly necessary. I seem to be the only one who appreciates the decorations, all the guys are interested in are the cookies, and "Whats for Supper". At the end of the holiday there is no one volunteering to help take the stuff down and put it away. ET 2

dan said...

What I really don't like is taking the decoration down at the end of Christmas time!!
No children in my family either, and my nephew with his sons has moved and they are living away now ... it's a pity because Christmas has a totally different atmosphere without any children around ...

dan said...

Best wishes for a sweet and joyful Christmas, dear Flo!

Linda Reynolds said...

Hi Flo. This year was hard. I fell and broke my wrist November 13. Then had surgery the next week to put in plates and pins. Kinda hard to decorate. My husband put up the tree and the angel on top. I let my nine year old GRANDDAUGHTER and her friend put on all the decorations. I put out the manager scenes and decided to do a small doll scene. Usually my whole house is decorated. I have decided to go smaller now and even gave away my Christmas village,etc. Sad, but also kind of freeing. After all, Christmas isn't about decorations, but about The One who loved us so much that He left heaven to come down to save us! Have a very Merry Christmas!

Flo said...

Thanks Dan! Merry Christmas to you too!

Oh dear Linda, that is no fun at all. But yes, it isn't about the decorations. I remember about 10 years ago dreading putting up the Christmas tree. Finally I thought to myself "this is stupid" and went and bought a smaller, much more manageable tree. It was freeing! And it was every bit as nice as the great big one I'd had before. And it was still Christmas! Merry Christmas and I hope you recover quickly.

Linda Reynolds said...

Thanks Flo. Happy New Year!