A blog about "nothing"!

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Thrift store finds-yeah, it's been quite a while!

I haven't had a thrift store post here in ages, simply because I haven't found much.  What I have found has been stuff for the doll blog, and I don't like to duplicate posts between the two blogs.  Even that has been kind of poor pickings overall until recently.  Blah.

This morning I looked at the weather forecast and decided it was going to be far too gloomy for any sewing.  Or much of anything else.  We've had so much rain this month it isn't funny, they are saying it is the 3rd rainiest June in history.  I believe it.  So, given that yucky forecast, I decided it was a good day to go to Pittsburgh and check my favorite thrift stores.  The last time I was there was in April and it was really pathetic, I only bought three things, two of which were neckties for my husband.  And a doll chair!  I had my fingers crossed that my luck would be better this time--must have worked!

First--a book on how to crochet.  My grandmother crocheted a lot but I never managed to learn how.  I remember her trying to show me how, but I just wasn't into it.  I've since regretted that, and when I saw this, I thought it would be worth a try. 

Then I found a tray for 95 cents.  Just a few days earlier I had mentioned to my husband that we needed a second plastic tray and I would have to keep my eyes out for one.  Perfect for what we need it for!

 
Two more neckties for my hubby!  He didn't have to wear a tie for work until this year when the company he is employed by changed ownership.  He loves having a variety of ties, and thrift stores are the perfect place to buy them at, so many of them appear to be brand new and many times you can get one for as little as 95 cents.  These were a little bit more because they are popular themes, but at $2.95 and $3.95 they were a steal. The one on the right is a Jerry Garcia tie, and they can cost brand new anywhere from $16 - $40.  He was thrilled with both of them.  He will be the first to admit that he hates to shop too, so it was a win/win.


For me--a matched set of Lands End sweaters, brand new!!!!!  I LOVE Lands End clothing, I buy a lot of it from them, and I'm always thrilled when I find pieces like this in thrift stores.  I got both pieces for $7.95, if I were to buy these from the website they would have cost me over $100!  They aren't even selling this particular shade of red at the moment either, but I have a real weakness for red clothing (if you hadn't already figured that out) and I couldn't put these into my cart fast enough.  I like sweater sets like this as they can be worn year around and can be dressy or casual. 

The rest of what I found is all doll related, if you want to see it, you can check it out on the doll blog Friday, I won't be posting it until then.  I'm hopeful that these great finds means there will continue to be some good thrift store shopping in the months to come.

No comments: