A blog about "nothing"!

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Just who thought this was a good idea?????

It's that time of year again, the season where we are hit smack in the face with everything Christmas.  It seems like it gets earlier and earlier each year and sometimes I think it gets tackier each year as well.  I'm somewhat of a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas too.  Give me a nice tree, stockings, a beautiful wreath and maybe a few knick knack type things and I'm good.  As my sister-in-law said yesterday-"We don't do cute."  No inflatable Santa on our lawn. 

I can accept most of this stuff if other want people want to do it.  I'm very much a "live and let live" kind of person, as long as what someone else is doing isn't hurting anyone.  We have a house in our neighborhood that tends to go a bit overboard for just about any holiday, but I don't make a big deal about it.  I just choose not to look at it as I drive past. 

There is one thing that happens this time of year though that drives me bananas beyond belief...cinnamon pine cones.  They start appearing in retail and grocery stores about now and honestly, I'd like to find the person who thought these damned things up and shove them up their...you know where.  These things are HORRIBLE!!!  I literally have to hold my breath when I'm in the vicinity of a display, and even then I can still smell them.  Unfortunately it's one of those things that once you get it in your nasal passages, it's hard to get rid of.

While I just hate the smell of these "things", I know that there are other people who experience severe reactions to them too.  I have had family members and friends who suffer from problems brought on by overwhelming fragrances, and these damned things most definitely qualify.  I also question the toxicity issue with these as I don't even think the scent on them is real cinnamon, but some sort of artificial liquid.  None of which can be healthy for anyone or anything.

Here's my question--who actually buys these????  I don't know of a single person in my circle of friends and family who likes these, and when you are in the store, I hear nothing but complaints.  I don't know about you, but if I wanted pinecones bad enough, I am sure that I could visit any number of people and pick some out of the yard.  I know, you're thinking "oh, those probably have bugs and such in them."  Well guess what???  Those ones that you buy in the stores aren't bug free either, there was an incident about 10 or so years ago with them, they were advising people to either throw them out in a sealed bag or put them in a Ziploc type bag in the freezer to kill the little critters.  Serious concerns about if they thrived and reproduced, they could wipe out a specific species of tree here in the US.  Ick.  I think I'd rather have bugs from my native country rather than ones brought in from other places in the world, thank you.  But really, I'd rather not have them period. 

My other question-why can't they be put in sealed bags to sell?  Then if someone really felt that they needed to buy them, they still could, without attacking the olfactory system of those who don't like the smell.  We put other things in bags to keep odors in or out, to me this would be the perfect item for a well sealed bag.

I'm done, I've said my piece.  I hate these things with a passion.  I walked past a box of them today while stopping to get milk and about gagged, and it wasn't even a very big display of them.  I just can't help but think that these can't possibly be healthy at all.  If you see a woman at the store holding her breath or her nose during the holiday season, it might be me. 

1 comment:

Jen Bortz said...

Agreed. They are the worst!