A blog about "nothing"!

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Land of the Free...not so fast!

Today is 9/11, a day that will go down in history as one of the worst in United States history.  Never before had we experienced terrorism on this level on US soil.  A lot of remembering goes on today each year in honor of those who lost their lives, those who have served and our freedom.  But are we really free? 

I'm being "terrorized" in a different way right now and no one can seem to help me.  Last week I started getting phone calls from people claiming to be representatives from health insurance companies.  They informed me that I had requested a quote on insurance.  I had done no such thing.  I did go through this about a year and a half ago when my husband was about to lose his job, but hadn't since.  I initially thought it was a computer glitch and that for some reason we had been put through again by accident.  I've since found out otherwise.

Day 1 was ridiculous, I had at least 10 calls in one hour.  They continued until about 5 PM and then quit.  We got none over the weekend, but on Monday they started again.  This has gone on all week with one day getting at least 13 calls in an afternoon.  Today I decided to call the phone company to see what could be done.

Getting through to a real human being at Verizon is a joke and a half.  Especially since their menus DON'T MATCH accurately.  After jumping through a million hoops I finally got to talk to someone and explained the problem.  She was very nice but said that there wasn't anything the phone company could do, I would have to contact the Federal Trade Commission.  She gave me an 800 number to call and told me some other stuff she thought I would need to know.

I then called the FTC.  Right at the moment I am beyond disgusted and feel as though even more of my tax dollars are going to waste.  I don't feel like a proud American.  I feel like an abused American who has no rights anymore.  I personally feel like a victim.

Apparently this is yet another scam.  And to make matters worse, they pass our number along to someone else.  And the FTC can't help me in any way, shape or form, even though my phone number is registered on the Do Not Call Registry.  Or maybe it's more like they don't want to.  I'll just have to put up with these calls until someone finally gives up.  All I know is right now, it seems as though it is better to live in this country and be dishonest than to be an average Joe who just tries to eek out a living and live a clean life.  I am sick and tired of free handouts to those who don't want to do anything.  Especially tired of the dishonesty that seems to be running rampant in the United States right now.  From scams like this to stolen credit card information to dishonest politicians, it's one big vicious circle. 

At this moment I am beyond mad.  I am angry beyond belief.  I can't have something as simple as a telephone without being harassed because someone thinks that it's okay and no one to do anything about it.  And what about the person who is much more gullible than I am who will actually give out information that they are asked for, thinking that the call is genuine.

THAT my friends is why I'm posting this.  I'm a first rate bitch, I'll be the first to admit it and I will take on these sorry excuses for human kind verbally, so they had better be prepared.  I worked enough years in a collections position and I can dish it out as well as take it.  But I feel sorry for the elderly person or someone who isn't a bitchy type-A personality like me who might fall for this or other scams.  Why does anyone think that this is okay?  Do they sleep at night knowing that their actions could be financially ruining someone? 

Tell your friends and family not to give ANY information out over the phone to ANYONE!  I know that it seems ridiculous I have to say that but regularly on our local news there are stories of people who have been swindled out of tens of thousands of dollars because of this kind of stuff.  Quit giving to charities who call as well.  I came up with a simple response to that years ago-"I do not take solicitations over the phone, please mail me something."  Interesting, not one of them has.  Instead of giving to national charities, give locally instead.  Choose who you give to wisely, don't be bullied in to giving.  And if it seems to good to be true, it is.  Toss those "you have won" papers you got in the mail in the trash, you didn't win a damned thing.

In closing--if you are someone who knows me personally and might call me at home, I apologize in advance for anything I might accidentally say to you.  You know who it's meant for.  I'm angry, ready and loaded for bear.  I love a good verbal fight and it's been a while...

No comments: