A blog about "nothing"!

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Keep Calm and Carry On...

I love that phrase.  In case you don't know, it was a saying printed on a motivational poster in Britain in preparation for World War II.  It has an interesting history in case you want to read about it.  I like it because as someone who is of primarily British/WASP heritage, it really does fit that "stiff upper lip" attitude that defines much of the British population.  As I'm typing this post, I'm drinking my coffee from a mug that has it on too. :)

It's been a trying couple of weeks.  First off, I started having some not so good side effects from the medication I had been taking for my arthritis/knee pain and had to quit taking it.  I don't care that what I'm taking is a prescription dosage of an over the counter medication--it was awful going cold turkey!!!  I feel really bad for anyone going through withdrawals from stronger stuff, yowsa.  I'm a bit grumpy now because I'm in pain and I'd kind of gotten used to feeling pretty good.  Hopefully I will be able to go back on it eventually, but I'm not counting on that.  Ugh.  Then I've had several people who I know pass away over the last few weeks, all of them fairly young.  Mostly from cancer which aside from the obvious sad feeling from their passing, it also scares me because it makes you wonder-what in the world have we been exposed to in this area? 

Last week my sister came to visit which was really nice, she has had so much going on that it had been a year since she'd been here.  I had been to her house twice in the meantime, but still.  We had fun making doll dresses, going shopping and just hanging out together.  Unfortunately while she was here my laptop decided to crash.  Thank you so much Microsoft Windows update!  It wouldn't have been such an issue except the instructions to make the doll dress were on the laptop. :(  After some very nasty language and resetting it (thank heavens I have somewhat of an IT background) I was able to get it up and running enough that we could use it.  Since then I've been systematically putting back all the programs I lost in the reset.  Not feeling the love at the moment Mr. Gates...

Finally, we are dealing with a family member who is very sick, and at this point in time how it will turn out is anybody's guess.  Trying to remain optimistic at this point because it's still early days, but the reality of how it could end up is always in the back of one's mind.  I also found out yesterday about a friend who is dealing with a serious medical emergency.  Getting old sucks.

In the meantime, I'm still plugging away at my usual stuff.  I haven't really done much cleaning, but I did take some more stuff to the Goodwill.   Next week I will have some more stuff to donate and also take to the consignment store as I'm starting the seasonal process of changing out the ending season's clothing and getting out my cold weather clothes.  It is still warm here, but you can definitely tell that autumn is just around the corner.  I'm also getting ready to start a heavy push on Ebay, last year my busiest time was mid-October till the beginning of December.  I figure if I list the stuff now and it doesn't sell, I will just keep relisting it and eventually it will sell as the online shopping traffic increases.  I am happy to say that I am getting to a really good point in this whole process, what started out as a major chore in January of 2013 is now approaching the "just a good way to make a few extra bucks"-yay!  You'd never know it to look at the collection of boxes in my craft room, but honest, they have a purpose.  Seriously, I saved boxes all spring and summer to be sure that I had enough for some of the larger items I am planning on listing.  My hope is that by the time Christmas arrives, the majority of them will be gone.  I hope so, I have a lot.  I'll keep you posted. 

My doll blog is going very well, if you haven't checked it out, please do!  I've been having TONS of fun with it and meeting some new and interesting people in the doll world.  I'm learning a lot too, loving every minute of it.  Right now my brain is on overload with ideas of things I want to write about for it as well as things I want to make.  I find myself looking at things from a different view point, particularly when I'm at the thrift store.  Yesterday afternoon I spent part of my afternoon cutting and gluing foamcore to try out a doll bed idea I had.  It's a sickness, it really is.

My thrift store trips have a new purpose to them thanks to the doll blog.  I have quit even looking at clothing for the time being.  First off-I NEED NOTHING.  Second, there are so many fun things that turn up that can be repurposed.  I even found a doll horse that needs some TLC!  I won't bore you with all of that stuff, you can check that out over at my other blog.  I do still look at other things though, and I found a few things that weren't doll related that I had to have.
Seventy Five cents!!!!!!!!!!!  And it is an actual souvenir from St. Paul's, it has their marking on the bottom.  I have a collection of various things from London or London themed, some I've purchased there, some have been gifts, some are just London related items I've found elsewhere.  So of course, I HAD to have this.  Not a mark on it either. 
 
And this:
 
You have no idea how excited I was to run across this.  I don't usually look at the DVD bins much because we already have so many that we need to watch, but something drew me over there.  It was $2.99, and the DVD's have no scratches on them.  I've mentioned before that I loved this show when it originally aired and I had started watching it over again on Amazon Prime, only to have them yank the rug out from under me and change it from being part of the Prime membership to a pay per view item-grrrrr.  I can watch 10 episodes for what they want me to pay for one--sorry Amazon.  I may have to start checking the DVD bins more often to see if I can find more seasons.

Another thing I'm working on is my semi-annual grocery purge.  I started doing this a couple of years ago, it's a great way to clean out the pantry and the fridge.  I especially like doing it at this time of year so I can stock up on different things for the winter.  I don't know about you, but what we eat during the winter months can be drastically different from what we eat in warm weather.  It's also a way of making sure we don't have any science experiments incubating and that we are using things up that are getting ready to expire.  I also want to try out some new recipes with the weather getting cooler.  Do you find that you crave more "comfort" type foods as the weather gets colder?

Have a great day!  Enjoy these last days of summer.


2 comments:

dan said...

I hope you have solved your health problems, Flo. Yes, even if we are having good weather, the feeling is that the autumn is behind the corner! :-(
P.s.
I have just seen your doll's blog, and...I love it!!

Flo said...

Thanks Dan! I've been having a lot of fun with it, so many ideas to write about. Glad you checked it out.