A blog about "nothing"!

Monday, July 7, 2014

Cough cough, hack hack!

Today is a big day in our house--the beginning of our bathroom remodel.  When we bought this house we knew we would be doing this, just weren't sure how soon.  I was not a fan of the color scheme and it had a few issues.  We didn't realize there were other problems, but we had resigned ourselves to just using the darned thing until it wasn't usable anymore. 

In May we discovered the bathtub was leaking in to the basement!  It was time.  Luckily in the four years we've lived here we've thought about things we would like to have, what we didn't like and so on, so it was just getting things in motion.  We contacted a contractor (say that 5 times fast!) and got it all set up.  I had a hard time sleeping last night just thinking about what I still needed to do before they got here. 

This is how it looked this morning:
 
Isn't that just...hideous?!  The tiles aren't even real tile, they are plastic.  And black countertop in a bathroom is a nightmare, it shows every water spot, toothpaste, powder--ugh!!!  I'm not even showing you the state of the shower with missing tiles and some more ready to jump.  It was bad, really bad.
 
This is sort of what we are shooting for, I found this on Pinterest.  Our vanity won't be that big because we don't have the space, and we are keeping the giant mirror and the existing light fixture because we actually did like them.  That's all we kept.
I never thought I would consider painting any room a pale green but there was just something about this that really caught my eye.  Hopefully a week from Friday it will be done.  Thank goodness for the downstairs bathroom so we can still shower and use the toilet!
 
This is what our bathroom looked like as of lunchtime today:
 
Thank heavens I hadn't done my spring/summer cleaning, I knew that this was going to create a lot of dirt. We now have a thin layer of dust on everything that we hadn't sealed off.  Glad I waited!  My allergies are already stirred up, definitely will be taking some meds tonight.  The bathtub is now gone too, they actually cut it in half and they pulled up the flooring.   Progress!
 
I will post more pictures, definitely ones of the finished product.  Excuse me now while I go blow my nose.  :0)

3 comments:

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Oooh, very exciting! I love decorating and design! Your inspiration photo is sooooo pretty Flo! Boy, only a week! Sounds fast! Can't wait to see the finished bathroom!

Jen Bortz said...

Looking forward to seeing the completed project pictures. Love the inspiration room!

dan said...

That means a lot of work, but your bathroom will soon be a beauty!!