A blog about "nothing"!

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Stuck Indoors

The first two weeks of June are the worst for me when it comes to allergies.  I haven't figured out exactly what it is, but I do know that tree and grass pollen levels are usually both very high, and this year is especially bad due to the long and nasty winter we had.  I am trying to stay inside, particularly in the mornings, it seems to be helping some.  My hubby has been watering my plants too, he's been a big help.  I'm hopeful that we are almost to the end of it. 

Since I'm stuck inside at the moment, I've been working on some weird things.  I mentioned in a previous post that I've been thinking of how to arrange my doll/bear collection, and specifically mentioned my American Girl doll.  Let me just say this--there will be no American Girl dollhouse like I'm working on for my Sunshine Family.  First off--this stuff is expensive!!!  I have lucked out and found some nice stuff on sale and also some items that are made for similar dolls.  But the other issue is the doll itself is 18" tall, so the furniture is rather large.  I have seen some houses people have made for their kids to play with and it's cute, but I can't help but think how much space that must take up.  Kudos to them!  Since I'm just doing a display, I'm concentrating on "decorating" a little girls bedroom.  For those not familiar with them, American Girl dolls are supposed to be around the age of 10. 

A couple of years ago I came across a really good sale on the AG site and ordered a bunch of stuff--the little clock/phone I featured in the previous post was part of that.  I also got a really cute bunk bed set:
It included two mattresses, pillows and comforters that when zipped together turned in to a sleeping bag.  It's cute, but not quite what I wanted.  Soooooo...this past weekend, I decided to do something about it and I made this:
Samantha is waving "Hi" from the bottom bunk! 
Here's a better shot without the dolls:
 
I made the "bedspread" reversible too!
 
Let me just say that I love this fabric and I originally bought it to make a tote bag.  I did make the bag and actually intended to make a second as a gift, but it never materialized.  I'm kind of glad it didn't because it was the perfect fabric for this project.  I wasn't sure how it would go with the bright yellow of the bed, but I was pleasantly surprised once I got it all together and how it looked.
 
The mattresses were fine, but I felt that they needed sheets--I mean, seriously who sleeps right on the mattress?????  I used a technique that I learned for making removable pillow covers and it worked great, and it's even reversible if I choose it to be:
 
 
 
Overall I am very pleased with how this project turned out!  It really was very easy, the hardest part was figuring out the measurements so that the cover fit the mattress well and so that the drape on the bedspread was accurate.  The sewing part was really easy, it was all straight lines.  In fact, this would make a great project for a beginning sewer.  Now I want to make some doll clothes for them--back to the sewing machine :)  

1 comment:

dan said...

Allergies are very annoying, and staying at home could be a bit boring, but... you have the cutest hobby on earth!! The bunk bed set is delightful!!