A blog about "nothing"!

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Retail Therapy on Oak Island/Southport

Remember how I was behaving myself lately and not going to thrift stores?  That all went out the window while we were on vacation.  Oh well, it was a vacation after all!  The Tuesday that we were there I noticed that I'd gotten a little too much sun the day before and thought it in my best interests to skip a visit to the beach for a day.  We decided to make it a shopping day instead, starting out with the thrift shops we knew about from last year and then spending some time on the mainland in the cute town of Southport. 

We started out by stopping at the Habitat for Humanity Rehab store, they had a lot of stuff, but nothing we needed and we both thought their prices were a bit steep for a thrift store.  We left there and headed on to the Salvation Army store.  It's a small store, but they have a decent variety of stuff.  We were almost done looking when I spotted a set of 5 of these:

They are luncheon size, and I love the basketweave design around the edge.  The funniest part is that I had just been talking with my friend Gwen the week before about dishes and had shown her some that I would like to have that were very similar.  I bought all 5, how could I not, they were all of 59 cents each!

After we got back to the house, I did a little research on them--they are Italian made, I think the company is out of business, but on Ebay these luncheon plates are selling for about $10 each--whoa!  I think I got a good deal, don't you?  Anyone know anything about this company, here's a shot of the back, I'm not at all familiar with Italian glassware/pottery enough to know.  (Dan?!?!?!)


From there we headed on to another thrift store that we did very well at last year, CIS Thrift Shop.  They have been voted "best thrift shop" in the area for multiple years in a row and for good reason, they have awesome stuff at terrific prices.  Proceeds from their sales go to help schools in the area.  We were barely out of the car when I spotted something in the window that I was very interested in--and after looking at it, I had to have it.

Aynsley pottery from England, decent size (close to 12" long), and only $12.  I'm a sucker for anything basket related (if you hadn't already figured that out) and I love the gardening themed design.  Not sure what I'm going to use it for, but I think it would make a nice bread basket or look pretty with fruit in it. 

                               Close up of the inside, love these little gardening images!

I also came across this Lenox snowflake ornament for $1--mine!  I did laugh though, last year I bought a Mt. Vernon ornament at the same store, I told my husband that it's becoming a tradition.  I also got a cute camp shirt (Papagallo) but I am not showing it because it's in the laundry and I don't feel like digging it out ;)  You don't want to see a wrinkled shirt anyways, do you?

Our last thrift store find came from a place called The Hoarders on Oak Island, the same place we found the deal on the VHS tapes of "All Creatures" last year.  We saw some really neat stuff there, but this particular piece caught our eye for $8.  Not sure exactly where we are going to put it, I'm thinking it would look nice in our spare bedroom and would give guests a place to hang things.  As I told the hubby, we couldn't buy the hardware to make one for $8, I thought it was a great deal.



On to Southport!  Southport is a cute small town only a couple of miles from Oak Island, it has been used as the backdrop for quite a few movies and television shows, most recently "Safe Haven" with Josh Duhamel and Julianne Hough.  It has some great restaurants and the shopping area is full of unique shops selling a variety of goods.  We didn't go in to all of them, but found plenty of things that we liked:


The sock monkey decked out in the UNC sweatshirt came from a really fun store called Bullfrog Corner--they had all sorts of stuff ranging from gift items, toys and a great selection of old style candies--I got some Zotz which I haven't had for ages.  The oval magnets came from a gift shop on Oak Island, not sure if they are going to go on the car or the refrigerator.  The dish towel came from a shop in Southport that I wish I could remember the name of because they sold items only made by local artisans, beautiful and unique items ranging from handmade baskets, cards and jewelry.  I could have spent a fortune there, but I was good!
I discovered a great gift shop on Oak Island called Color Me Carolina that sold a nice variety of items too, but what lured me in was that they sold Tervis Tumblers.  If you aren't familiar with this brand, they are a double walled product that can be used for hot or cold beverages, and they make them in a variety of sizes and styles.  I wasn't all that familiar with them until last year when the company my husband works for gave us some with the company logo on, they are expensive compared to others, but they really do work, better than anything else I've tried.  I had been looking for something with the Oak Island Lighthouse on it, and when I saw this, I bought two and purchased lids for them.  They came in very handy on the ride home too.

Last but not least--a store in Southport called Ocean Outfitters looked appealing, so we had to check it out.  A great store with a nice selection of clothing and shoes, but I was especially excited to see that they carried Eliza B sandals.  I first learned of these sandals from The Daily Prep and had been curious ever since.  I don't usually do well with thong/flip flop type sandals, the piece that goes between the toes tends to rub a raw spot, but Eliza B sandals are different, that piece is made of ribbon instead of leather or rubber.  Unfortunately we have no retailers in our area that sell them, so I was thrilled to see these and immediately tried a pair on.  SOLD! 

They are very comfortable, the foot bed molds to your feet (if you look close you can see where my toes have already made an imprint) and I had no issue with the ribbon between the toes.  It worked out great that I bought them early in the week, I could really try them out.  Before we headed home on Friday I went back and bought another pair, as well as a Leatherman key ring--Leatherman is the companion company to Eliza B.


Eliza B has a new regular customer now!  What is really cool is if you go to their website to buy sandals, you can either buy their premade ones, or you can customize a pair at no price difference!  They are American made too, each pair is put together in Essex, CT.  They do run a little small, so you really do need to go up a size, but they are so well made and comfy.  They also sell a number of other unique items, I may be doing a lot of shopping there come Christmas.

Now that we are home I have to be good.  I am trying to talk myself out of making a trip to Red White and Blue next week, maybe I will try and hold off until June.  We'll see if I can resist.

2 comments:

dan said...

Yes Flo, I know Pagnossin! They started their produccion in 1929 and went on untill2008. Then another brand , Seri, purchased the brand...they produce quality items...
You were right in buying the plates, they are lovable! ( and you had them for a very good price!! )

Flo said...

Thanks Dan, appreciate the information, this is turning in to an education purchase!