A blog about "nothing"!

Monday, April 7, 2014

Spring is here.......sort of.................and a new use for Cheerios boxes!

The weather here is still bizarre, one day it is warm, the next cold--we've even had a bit of snow!  To say that we are all sick of it is putting it mildly.  The only good part is looking at the long range forecast, it appears that the worst of it is behind us.  It better be!!!

As depressing as it is, weather hasn't stopped me from doing things--a flu bug did instead.  Several weeks ago I was really sick with an intestinal bug that is making the rounds, I don't remember the last time I was so sick--fever, body aches and way too much time spent you-know-where.  Luckily the really sick part only lasted a couple of days, but I've been struggling to recover from it ever since.  It really took everything out of me (literally and figuratively) and I've been having a heck of a time getting back up to snuff since.  I can honestly say that today is the first day I've felt even close to normal, I'm hopeful to be back to my usual self by the end of the week.  Having your electrolytes all of out whack wreaks havoc on everything.

Just before I got sick I managed to finish the worst part of our taxes and to celebrate, I decided to work on something that had been put on the back burner for a while--my Sunshine Family dollhouse project!  Yeah, bet you thought I'd forgot about that, didn't you???  The truth is that after some thinking, I wasn't totally happy with my initial idea, and then I temporarily went back to work, found that cute folding dollhouse that I wanted to incorporate in to the project somehow, the holidays.......it was back to the drawing board.  I'm one of those people who likes to mull things over for a while, think about all options and come up with a plan of some sort.  I finally decided what needed to be done, and I got the next phase of it done.  And since I now have quite a bit finished, I have decided to start sharing some of this project with you.  Some of this was done last year before I got sidetracked, some of it recently (before the flu) and some of it is yet to be done but I promise, I will share all of it with you in installments.

This installment--some furniture made from boxes!  When I was growing up I had a friend who could make Barbie furniture out of milk cartons--a sofa, tables, my all time favorite was the refrigerator she made, it was awesome.  Keep in mind, we were probably ages 8 - 12!  When I was getting out my Sunshine Family furniture, I remembered that the bed that came with the house was poorly made and ended up being tossed out.  It was mostly made out of cardboard and the few plastic pieces it had were extremely fragile and broke quickly.  Flashback to all that cardboard furniture we made--I started digging around in some stuff I had saved and decided to make not only a bed, but a sofa of sorts!  After 8 1/2 years of working as a picture framer, I have an endless ability to make all sorts of things out of cardboard, this was going to be fun :)

I started with two Cheerios boxes.  My husband eats a lot of cereal (I swear sometimes I married Jerry Seinfeld) so there is never a shortage of boxes.  I had saved these for another project that I wanted to do but haven't gotten around to, so they were fair game. 
 
I started on the bed first, I didn't need to change the width--after all of these years of sleeping in a crappy bed from Mattel, I decided Steve and Stephie were going to upgrade to the equivalent of a Queen size!  I just needed to shorten the box a bit and turn the excess portion in to a headboard:

 
I did a bit more cutting on the box for the sofa as it didn't need to be quite so big:

 
After some folding and taping, this is what I had:
 
I then "upholstered" them using scrapbook paper.  I still want to make some additional things for them, but you get the basic idea.


 
I need to make some bedding and pillows yet, I remember my mom even made a mattress for my Barbie's--do I want to take it that far?  We'll see, Steve and Stephie are getting up there in years, but I don't think I'm quite up to making them a Sleep Number bed! 
 
'Til next time! 


3 comments:

dan said...

I am glad to read that you are feeling better...and that have starting back with your project! Very nice sofa, for the dolls' house! It's surprising to see how many things you can make out of an empty box!

Jen Bortz said...

You still have your Sunshine Family?! Awesome!!!

Flo said...

Unfortunately the Sunshine Family I have now is not the original, last year when I got mine out, they had become very moldy and I had to replace them :( Thank heavens for Ebay! I found a set that were still in the box, the mom and dad appeared to have never been played with and the baby still had the plastic strap around her head.