A blog about "nothing"!

Friday, January 24, 2014

What's on the telly?

We are in the midst of another polar votex--brrrr!!!  It is a whopping -2F as I type this, I am really getting sick of winter.  It's supposed to get worse before it gets better too.  When it's this cold, there isn't much you can do outside, so it's a great time to get caught up on your television watching.  Right now there is plenty to watch too, at least in our house.

On regular network programming, my favorite new show "The Blacklist" started up again after a month long hiatus over the holidays.  I've always liked James Spader and this role is probably one of his best.  The story line constantly has you wondering just who are the bad guys and who are the good guys!  I've been horribly disappointed with "NCIS" and "The Big Bang Theory", way too many repeats already, what the heck?!?!  On PBS we have "Downton Abbey"--I wasn't sure if I was going to watch it again since I already watched it when it aired in the UK, but I found myself sucked in.  Interestingly enough, I picked up on a detail in the first episode that I missed before, and now it changes my opinion of Barrow and Bates completely.  And how I can I forget the long awaited return of "Sherlock"!  My husband and I are definitely hooked, I wish we got more than just three episodes at a time.  I am still hoping for the return of Moriarty. 

Streaming has been a great way for us to watch things we haven't seen before, or shows we want to re-watch.  Heather started watching Dr. Who from the beginning of the series reboot, and I have only watched it here and there, so I started at that point myself.  I was not familiar at all with the 9th doctor--I absolutely loved him before it was over with and was really sad that he was only in one season.  I am now about halfway through season two.  In the spirit of Dr. Who, I also decided to re-watch "Torchwood" from the beginning again, this is one of my favorite shows of all time, and just recently the fourth season has been made available at no charge to Amazon Prime members (doing a little happy dance here!) so I will actually get to see some new stuff.  Gotta love Captain Jack!!!

I started watching the UK version of "Wallander", but decided to put it on hold until we are done watching Sherlock.  It has a similar theme to Sherlock, but a much slower pace and I am afraid if I try to watch them at the same time, I will find myself constantly comparing them, and that isn't fair, they are two completely different kinds of shows.  We finished the fourth season of "Doc Martin"--if you haven't watched this, you really must, it is Martin Clunes at his best along with a bunch of other quirky folks.  We will start the fifth season of that after Sherlock as well, hopefully by the time we are done with that season the sixth (and most recent) will be available for us to stream as part of Amazon Prime as well.

My daily watching is the UK soap "Coronation Street"--I got hooked on this last summer and right now there is an especially tough storyline going on.  As a friend of mine said "I don't watch now without a box of Kleenex handy".  That storyline is about to wrap in the next week or so, it has already aired in the UK and I've heard it is very hard to watch.  Oh no! 

We have a bunch of shows that are the "go to" shows on the weekend when there is nothing on--"Man vs Food", "Samantha Brown's Passport to Europe", "The Vicar of Dibley" (was sad to hear of actor Roger Lloyd Pack's passing recently), "Brad Meltzer's Decoded", "Absolutely Fabulous".  I wish our local PBS channel would quit doing so many pledge weekends, I am missing "This Old House" and "America's Test Kitchen"--although I have also found ways to stream old episodes of those. 

Last but not least, I started re-watching an old favorite show from the 1980's-90's--"Thirtysomething".  It's been fun remembering the characters as well as some of the clothing and technology (or lack of) of that era.   In my mind I keep wondering how you could reboot this show for current times and how much re-writing you would have to do.  For me it has special meaning too because one of the actresses (Patricia Wettig) grew up around here and is a friend of someone I know. 

What have you been watching?  Any recommendations?

Have a great weekend and if you are in the Eastern US and Canada--STAY WARM!

If you get this, I know you are a Torchwood fan!!

5 comments:

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

The only thing we are watching right now is Top Chef. We really enjoy it.

Episode three of Downer Abbey upset me sooooo much, I had trouble getting to sleep. I watched it this week again, and kept telling myself it's just a tv show, don't get attached to the characters.

dan said...

Here in Italy, we are having a quite warm winter for the time being. No snow yet...so just a few tv programs for me!! ( I love Castle series )

Flo said...

LOL Sue at "Downer Abbey"--isn't that the truth?! This season was a huge disappointment to me. I need to ask my sister what she thinks so far, I promised I wouldn't ruin it for her.

Dan, I've never watched Castle, but I should, I love Nathan Fillion, perhaps that's one that I should add to my list!

Gwen said...

I swear I may have put on five extra pounds in January from lying around on the couch watching tv under a blanket!

Netflix has spoiled me. On regular tv, I'm keeping up with my old faves. I did add The Blacklist to that list recently.

Wendy said...

Totally forgot about 30 Something! Love me some Blacklist! I'm currently hooked on House Of Lies, Girls and I cannot wait or House Of Cards!