A blog about "nothing"!

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Hints from.............."Not Heloise"

Anyone else remember that newspaper column?  Do they still publish it?  Sometimes they came up with some really good stuff and sometimes it was really hokey, but we all read it anyways, didn't we?

My first "hint" is something that happened by accident.  A couple of months ago I bought these kitchen wash rags:
 
What the heck was I thinking?  They are white---can you think of a worse thing to buy for a kitchen rag?  And then to make matters worse, they are microfiber.  I HATE microfiber, the feel of it drives me nuts, and it doesn't work for towels in any way shape or form for me.  I stuck them under the kitchen sink for the time being until I figured out what to do with them.  A couple of weeks ago an idea finally popped in to my head and it was brilliant!  Instead of using a traditional Swiffer cloth that you end up throwing away, use one of these.  Being white, I can see just how much crud I've picked up off the hard wood floor and being fabric, I can wash them.  Let me just say that they worked great for this purpose, they fit the old style traditional Swiffer perfectly and when I was done, I just tossed them in the laundry.  Score!
 
My other tip for the day is one I found on Pinterest.  I tried it yesterday on a batch of towels and I have to say I was impressed.  My towels have no odor at all to them now, they smell CLEAN.  I'm as guilty as the next guy for putting too much soap in when I wash towels, this really did take all of the soap out of them, I could tell just by looking in the rinse tub.  I'm going to gradually do all of our towels, thinking this would be a good thing to do once a year, and might try it on our comforters before I put them away at the end of the season.  I wonder what else it would work on?
 
Do you have any great cleaning tips to share?
 


4 comments:

dan said...

Your kitchen wash rags seem to have had a a new life...a smart girl always know how to recycle things!! :-)

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Great ideas on both counts!

Gwen said...

I was going to ask you how your towels turned out. I need to do that again with some of my towels.

My favorite new cleaning tip is a bottle of vinegar and Dawn dish soap for use in my shower. Love it when I use the dish scrubbie to scrub!

Flo said...

I might have to try that Gwen--we get a lot of manganese build up in ours. I love simple cleaning solutions that don't involve harsh chemicals whenever possible.