A blog about "nothing"!

Monday, December 30, 2013

2014--The Game Plan

Another year almost over--wow!  2013 went whizzing by, overall I think it went pretty well.  A few things didn't go quite as planned, a few things happened that I wish hadn't, but we made it through unscathed.  Bring on 2014!

I am one of those few people who actually enjoys the change in the year.  To me the New Year signifies a new start, a chance to change and improve.  I don't believe in resolutions as everyone tends to set ones that are hard to attain and set themselves up for failure.  I think that's why I love the "choose a word" thought.  It's akin to a lifestyle change as opposed to a diet.  Something you can live with in the long term.

My biggest thing this year is to continue moving forward with our plan to clean out our home of stuff we don't need or don't use.  Last year I started by going through one room top to bottom and it worked well.  Unfortunately part way through the year I kind of strayed from this plan, and as a result a couple of rooms didn't get cleaned out as well (or at all!) as I had hoped.  Those are the rooms I am going to start with.  The dining room is probably going to take me a while, we have a lot of expendable stuff in there.  Our entertaining routine has changed drastically over the last couple of years, and we simply do not need all these dishes, table cloths, etc.  I'd also like to paint in there and make some other changes, it would be a whole lot easier without all the extra stuff.

I'm also going to put myself on a thrift store "schedule"--no more spur of the moment shopping, but shopping with a plan instead.  It's going to be hard, I know that many of the best bargains I've found were from just popping in, but the truth is I NEED nothing, not a darned thing.  Perhaps a pair of jeans that fits better, but not even sure about that. 

Clothing has always been an issue for me, ever since I started working.  I love clothes, I won't deny it.  I did reduce the amount I had since my work situation changed, but I still have too many.  And now because I've been working on losing weight, I have some that don't fit--outta here!  I went back and re-read some of the Project 333 website, hoping it might inspire me.  The concept is great, but for a clothes horse like me a bit extreme, and I don't know that I could follow it to the letter, but I'm thinking perhaps a variation on it would work.  There was some excellent advice there that did steer me towards a direction in clothing reduction.  I do need to set out some bags this week, one for donation, one for consignment and one for trash, it's easier to do this as I do laundry. 

We have a lot of things planned for the coming year--a couple of trips, a bathroom remodel (eeek!), a wedding to attend.  That's just what we know about already!  I would also like to get back in to golfing, we keep talking about it but then it never happens, too many things get in the way.  We live in an area where golf is not expensive and we have a plethora of courses within a 30 minute drive, so there is no excuse.  Even if we just go once a month, it is a day out, exercise, and something we both enjoy.  I also want to try something "new"--not sure what it is yet, I have some ideas, but nothing concrete yet.  Stay tuned ;)

I hope you all have a wonderful New Year! 
 

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Fellow clothes horse and spur of the moment thrifter, here... I've finally started parting with items that "will never fit" (reality sucks, lol). I can't give up the call of the thrift store, it's when I find the best stuff. As for the cleaning thing, I tackled our bedroom yesterday (it was pretty gnarly - dust be gone!) Happy 2014!!! :)

dan said...

Thinking of a new year as a chance to improve is very positive!
I wish you a 2014 full of joy and hope you will have a little time for practising golf!