A blog about "nothing"!

Friday, November 1, 2013

Well that sucked!

It was a crappy Halloween here, it rained.  Nothing worse than trick or treat in the rain.  I think we had all of seven kids show up at the door.  I took the leftover candy and made up two goodie bags for the little boys across the street and I guess we will be eating the rest in lunches and snacks.  At least I bought things we like.  So much for the diet!

Halloween has always been one of my favorite times of year, for as long as I can remember.  I have fond memories of some awesome costumes, parties, and "tricks" in our neighborhood.  My mom always looked forward to the toilet paper trees in bloom.  Most of the tricks were harmless enough, the usual window soaping and throwing corn at windows to scare people.  The funniest one was the time my mom snuck out and joined them, the kids didn't realize they had picked up an extra participant until they had walked about 1/2 mile into the neighborhood!  She laughed about that for years.

As time passed, the kids who came dressed became fewer and fewer, mostly because they all grew up and we had fewer kids in the neighborhood.  But also because of fear--kids being abducted, razor blades in candy, etc--it took a lot of the fun out of it.  Our last year living at the other house yielded a couple of kids and that was it.  So I was excited when we moved in to town.  I was looking forward to seeing kids in costume again.  Fortunately I didn't go overboard because it was a huge let down.  Very few people in our neighborhood participate for whatever reason, and the time that they have trick or treat is kind of stupid too, most people are still at work if October 31st falls on a weekday.  As a result, we don't get all that many kids, throw in bad weather, and well, we all know how that turned out.

I didn't decorate at all this year.  Not only did I not have a lot of time to do it, but my heart just wasn't in it.  We don't have any little persons coming to our house on a regular basis anymore, and trick or treat has been such a let down, it kind of took the wind out of my sails.  The extent of my Halloween decorating was the banner I made and the basket that the candy was in, that's it.  I used to go all out, I had multiple bins of decorations that ended up all over the house.  I probably should go through what I still have and put it on Ebay next year and let someone else enjoy it.  Maybe I'll get out of my Halloween funk, but not counting on it.

One thing I won't get rid of is my Dept 56 Halloween farm.  I started the collection about 10 or more years ago on a visit to Vermont.  I fell in love with the haunted house and over the years kept adding to it.  I haven't set it up since we moved, perhaps next year I should make it a point to put it up on my birthday and then leave it up until Halloween?



 
Here's hoping you had a better Halloween than we did in the Northeast US!  We have had high winds since last night and lots and lots of rain (although it is sunny out at the moment).  You would think it was March 1st, not November 1st! 
 
Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

dan said...

I had never seen a Halloween farm! Yours is very cute.

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Aw, sorry to hear that your Hallowe'en was less than stellar shall we say. For some reason, my neighbourhood has been sprouting kids. Each year, over the past five years, I've been getting more and more kids. About 140 this year. I enjoy it, and it does give me fond memories of when I was a kid. I'm not big on decorating or parties or dressing up, I just hang a paper Hallowe'en sign for the evening and that's about it. I do love your display, and love looking at them at Michael's too. Maybe next year, there might be an event you can go to where you can participate more fully in the fun of Hallowe'en?