A blog about "nothing"!

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Black Friday--no thanks!

I'm not afraid to admit it, I'm not a big fan of the whole Black Friday shopping phenomenon.  I think part of it comes from working in retail for a couple of years, and the rest of it is a matter of just not liking the whole crowd and the "herd" mentality.  There is nothing that I want so bad at a supposed great price to go out in it.  Just not my thing at all.  And now many of the US retailers are trying to push it back, opening their doors on Thanksgiving.  I think that is a bit much.  Have we lost all sight of what is important? 

The one thing that puzzles me is when did it turn in to a riot-inducing, traffic jam creating mess?  And why?  Truthfully, when I worked in retail back in the mid 1980's, it was a busier than normal business day, but not crazy busy like it is now.  I think we opened a whole half hour earlier!  I can also remember going to the nearby outlet mall with a couple of friends one year at 7 in the morning, only some of the stores were open and many of the employees were rolling their eyes with boredom, wondering why they bothered and figuring it probably cost them more in overhead than they made.  That was only about 15 years ago.  The same mall just 7 or so years ago decided to open at midnight and insanity prevailed, some people never even got there the traffic was so bad.  What changed?

So while all of these people are out there, dealing with crowds in search of the eternal bargain, where will I be?  At home, sleeping in, then when I do finally crawl out of bed I'll finish cleaning up from Thanksgiving dinner.  I'm hoping to start wrapping some of the presents I've already purchased, start working on Christmas card stuff and watch something good on TV.  I might even start doing some decorating.  I may venture out to the grocery store to grab a few things--I figure that will be a great time to go as that will be the last thing anyone will be thinking about the day after Thanksgiving!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

No no, never never, uh uh uh!

No comments: