A blog about "nothing"!

Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Garden Update...............(really!)

I never dreamed that on October 13th I would still have any veggies coming off my plants--but I do!  The green beans are long gone and the lettuce too, but I still have some stragglers on the tomato plants, the onions are still doing well (I've used quite a few of them) and the peppers---oh my!  They don't seem to want to give up and with the mild temperatures we have been having, we managed to get another whole batch off of the plants so I could make another dish full of sausage stuffed peppers with several to spare.  And there are still quite a few on the plants in various stages from just past the bud stage to almost mature.  I never would have thought that I would still be getting peppers at this point in time.  Unfortunately cooler temperatures are coming, so I may have one more good harvest of them before the plants are ready to be pulled out for the season.  I am hopeful.  I really thought we were done a few weeks ago.

A couple of my surprise peppers!
 
 
One more week of working, timed that about perfectly, because I want to pull the onions that are left to dry out for storage.  Not really a lot of them left since I've been using them to make several recipes including fresh salsa.  I haven't bought onions since at least August though, so I would call that planting a success as well.   
 
Next year I don't think I will bother with the green beans for several reasons--we had a constant battle with the birds for all the more we got, and Lee accidentally broke the container.  For the expense involved I am probably just as far ahead to buy them from a local farmer.  Everything else though was a great success and I will be growing them again for sure.  Maybe I will try something new in the spring, not sure what yet.  'Til next year!



3 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I just picked a glut of peppers today, too! Crazy!! But I wouldn't complain if this mild weather stuck around another month (or six).

KK

dan said...

Your gardening has been a great success! And, by the way, have you noticed that your green peppers are very photogenic??

Wendy said...

I'm still getting peppers, too and my Mexican sunflower has grown to about 10 ft and is about to bloom. That alone makes the warm weather more bearable.