A blog about "nothing"!

Sunday, August 25, 2013

When is it finished???

We moved three years ago.  We sold the other house just over a year ago.   I am still going through boxes!!!   I've not moved very many times in my life, but I know from previous experiences that there always seems to be stuff that hasn't been unpacked years later.  I have a friend who has a husband in the military,  I've only known her since 2006 and in that time, she has moved at least four times.   I don't know how she does it!

Last year when the house sold we had to get the last of the stuff we had left behind for "staging" purposes out, and unfortunately most of it just ended up in the garage.  This spring we went through a lot of it and probably 50% of it was donated.  Some of the things I've sold on Ebay (or will be selling soon), but there were a couple of things that I hadn't decided what I wanted to do with them.  Today as I was going through some stuff, I came across this:

 
This barometer belonged to my mother.  She was a weather fanatic for as long as I can remember (gee, now I know where I get THAT from!).  She purchased this sometime in the 1940's or 50's.  It hung in various places in our house when I was growing up, the last place was in the kitchen.  As a result, it was filthy dirty, so I took a little time to clean it up, and hung it in my living room this morning.  I'm not 100% sure that it still works very well, I did set the adjustable needle so I can see.  I went in to Intellicast.com to see what the barometric pressure is today and it wasn't that far off, so I'm hopeful that it is still working. 
 
What amused me most was when I flipped it over, the original price tag was still on it?!  On Ebay, a barometer like this is selling from $10 - $60 depending on age and condition.  My mom paid all of $5.95 for it.  Doesn't sound like much now, but back then it would have been a bit of an extravagance.  After reading some of the descriptions on Ebay, I'm even more amazed that it isn't smashed to smithereens, I know it fell off the wall a couple of times.  Turns out that not only is the front cover glass, but the dial is ceramic! 
 
 
So now I wait for the weather to change to see if it is still working, and if it is, I guess I will have to search the internet to learn how to adjust it properly.  Hmmmm......

1 comment:

dan said...

Your mom's barometer is a beautiful object and it would be a pity if didn't work anymore. . .