A blog about "nothing"!

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Home Made Salsa and Chips

My garden is starting to wind down now, the lettuce is just about finished, the peppers are getting smaller (and fewer), the green beans are just about done and the tomatoes are starting to dwindle, no new starts but luckily still plenty of green ones yet to turn.  I figure in the next two or three weeks I'll be emptying out planters and putting them away for the season.  It was definitely worth it though, we have really enjoyed having the fresh veggies so conveniently placed right outside our door.  The onions are the only thing that isn't done, and those still have a ways to go.  I just need to figure out what I'm going to do with them all when I harvest them!

About a week or so ago the tomatoes had actually gotten ahead of me enough that I needed to figure out something I could make with them as I didn't want to waste a single one.  I decided on some fresh salsa along with fresh made corn chips--mmmm!  Very easy to make, we finished off every last bit of it in one sitting.

Super Easy Salsa

4 - 6 small tomatoes or 2 - 3 medium to large tomatoes, tops cut off and sectioned
1/2 Medium onion, cut in half again
1 small pepper (I used a banana pepper since I had it, but you could use jalapeno if you want more of a kick!)
Juice of 1/2 of a lime
Sprigs of Cilantro (to taste)
A couple of shakes of salt (to taste)

Take all of the ingredients and put them in to a food chopper/food processor, pulse 3 - 6 times to cut and mix.  If you like your salsa more like a puree, keep pulsing.  Store in the fridge for an hour before serving so all the flavors blend.   I personally left out the cilantro as we aren't big fans and we still loved it.  Can't tell you how long you can store this in the fridge since it didn't hang around long enough!

Fresh Tortilla Chips

Take a soft corn tortilla and cut it in to 6 wedge shaped pieces.  Easiest way to do this is on a cutting board with a pizza cutter.   Heat corn oil to medium heat in a small skillet, once it is heated, drop wedges in to hot oil several at a time, turning them over as they cook.  Once cooked through, remove them from the heat and place on a paper towel to absorb remaining oil and lightly salt them.  The best way to tell if they are cooked the whole way through is they not only change color, but they get really stiff.  I used 8 tortillas to make enough chips to finish off the entire batch of salsa.  Delicious :)

1 comment:

dan said...

It would be a pity to waste your tomatoes, and your recipe seems to be tasty!