A blog about "nothing"!

Friday, July 12, 2013

Yummo!!!

Busy week here and I was a bit under the weather on top of it.  What I originally thought was a bad case of indigestion Saturday night from eating a greasy dinner turned out to be some sort of bug!  I finally started feeling better yesterday, but it certainly threw a monkey wrench in a lot of plans I had for the week.

Today I'm going to make up for it by doing some serious cooking.  It's food that I've been wanting to make, but both recipes require the oven, and the weather forecast starting Sunday is not exactly oven weather, so time is of the essence.  Dinner tonight is going to be sausage stuffed peppers and apple crisp.  Leftovers for lunch on Sunday!!!! 

Here is a picture of two of the peppers I "harvested" earlier this week from my plants.  Both plants currently are just full of peppers, so I shouldn't have any difficulty getting enough today for my recipe and probably again next weekend. Hoping to have enough to freeze enough for a recipe too.   I'm so tickled :)

I thought it would be nice to share the recipe-- I look forward to banana pepper season every year just so I can make it.  My sister and a friend of hers came up with this particular recipe, it's so good!

SAUSAGE STUFFED HOT BANANA PEPPERS

8 Hot Banana Peppers, cleaned and seeded
1 pound country style bulk sausage (I use Bob Evans)

Stuff the sausage in the peppers.  You can slice the peppers lengthwise to make stuffing easier.  If you want yours really hot, don't clean the seeds out as thoroughly, the heat is mostly in the seeds.  Arrange in a large casserole dish.  If you have more sausage than you do peppers, just roll it in to meatballs and put them in the casserole as well. 

Prepare the Sauce

1 #8 can of whole or diced tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 small green pepper finely chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic (I've used garlic powder too)
salt & pepper to taste
1 small can tomato sauce

Saute onions till soft, add garlic and cook a minute or two.  Add the tomatoes, green pepper, seasonings and tomato sauce and simmer till reduced a little.  Remove from heat and stir in:

1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Pour the sauce mix over the stuffed peppers, cover with foil tightly and bake at 350 degrees for 1/1/2 hours.  Remove foil and cover the peppers with approximately 8 slices of swiss cheese.  Return to oven and bake till cheese starts to bubble all over.  Allow to cool about 10 minutes before serving.

One of the nice things about this recipe is you can do a lot of advance prep work--I've stuffed the peppers the night before as well as make the sauce, just keeping it separate until just before I was ready to put it in the oven.  That makes it a great recipe for a working person, and the time it takes to bake gives you a nice amount of time to "wind down" :)

The apple crisp will be made using this recipe, just substituting the peaches with apples instead.  I leave out the nuts since I'm allergic, but I've thought about trying it with peanuts, I wonder how that would be.  I love this recipe, the seasonings in it are spot on, I could eat it every day with either apples or peaches. 

Have a great weekend everyone!  We are hoping to go to something tommorrow that we haven't been to for a couple of years--I will definitely have some fun pictures to share if we get to go. 



3 comments:

Katie Clooney said...

Looks great!! Will have to try the recipe!

ni brujas ni princesas said...

me gustan los pimientos, en especial combinado con cebollas, beso,ana.

dan said...

I am glad to hear that you are better now... the pecipe sounds great, I will try!