A blog about "nothing"!

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Too Hot!!!

Most of the US is experiencing a major heat wave this week, and here is no different--it is currently 88 degrees, but feels a lot hotter because of the humidity, supposed to reach 91 before the day is out.  I've had a headache all morning, I think mostly because of the goofy barometric pressure, we've had "rumble rumble" of thunder off and on for the last few hours.  Unfortunately it is supposed to be like this the rest of the week, no relief in sight until the weekend.  I sure hope they are right!  I tossed a beef roast and veggies in the crock pot this morning for dinner so I don't have to do much preparation, plus it keeps me from heating up the kitchen.  I'm so not a hot weather person, if I wanted it this hot I would live in Florida, not Pennsylvania. 

I did make a pleasant discovery this morning while I had Laney outside.......
 
See those things in the bowl......yeah, those long stringy green things..........GREEN BEANS!!!  Finally my beans have started to produce something, yay!  I'm going to leave these ones in the refrigerator until Friday, hopefully by then I'll have enough to actually cook, there were quite a few coming on but not quite ready yet.  I picked 4 more peppers, lots coming on too, we will be having the sausage stuffed pepper recipe again this coming weekend.  And last but not least, a couple of my onions.  They hardly seem big enough to pull just yet, but I do need to thin them out some, so I figure I will pick a few here and there for cooking.  We've had three tomatoes that were wonderful (note "were", they are history!) with quite a few more coming on, and the lettuce is thriving, I picked a bunch of it off this morning to make a salad for Lee to take with him.  I am definitely loving having fresh produce right outside my front door, knowing that it hasn't been sprayed with pesticides, grown with non-GMO seeds, and a product of my own hard work (and the hubby too!)  I will definitely be growing these again next year, maybe add one or two more things to it.  Mmmmmmmm!
 
Stay cool (and safe) everyone!  Look out for your neighbors and your furry friends too.

5 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

1. Jealous of your beans! Mine are slower than ever to grow this year.

2. Yesterday in Fort Lauderdale, FL it was 71. Today I got back to NY and it is 99. What the heck is up with that??

KK

Kathleen Lisson said...

Those beans look great! I am really enjoying all the fresh fruits and veggies I get from the local farmers markets.

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Hey Flo, just catching up...all sorts of positive news I see, hoorah! How great that your husband flowed effortlessly to another job. I know, there is the new job curve, some extra hours getting to know things etc., but hopefully you'll both still have plenty of summer enjoyment. And hopefully, your weather is being kinder to you this weekend. Fantastic veggies. Container veggie gardening really is the way to go, and I keep telling myself to grow more than tomatoes! Well done!

dan said...

Hi Flo, the same weather is here:hot,hot and hot!
I think is fantastic to see your own vegetables growing up...and it encourage to eat healty!

Gwen said...

Oh, I miss having a garden. With the move, it wasn't possible. I thought about a late garden but that fell through. Wonder if I could plant something now.