A blog about "nothing"!

Monday, June 3, 2013

Looky, looky!!!

My veggies are starting to show some serious growth--yay!!  I thought I would show you how they are doing, I'm really excited, can ya tell?!?!?!

Here are my beans--started these from seed in this big blue container a couple of weeks ago.  We had some really hot weather last week and it really made them take off.  I'm tickled to see them already starting to "hug" the dowel rods I put in for them to climb.  I only planted four, I think that will give us enough green beans for two people for several weeks.
 
Both tomato plants are doing very well, I think I'm going to have to tie them up to a pole too, they have really gone kind of crazy.  We even have tomatoes on both of them, hopefully they won't get swiped, I will be keeping a close eye on those babies! 
 

 
The pepper plants are doing great, lots of blossoms on them, can't wait for those blossoms to turn in to little peppers! 
 
And those little green dots in this picture are leaf lettuce--I only planted it about a week ago, so I'm very pleased with how quickly they sprouted.  I only planted about half of the seeds in the packet (maybe not even that much) so that when this round is done, I can replant and hopefully have lettuce in to the late summer.



 
The only thing not shown here that I have planted are the onions--because there is nothing to show just yet! I only planted them about a week ago too, so it's still a little bit early. There are some green bits popping up, but I actually think they might be some leftover marigolds from last year, I'll know better in a couple of days--ooops!!  I've never grown onions from seed before so this is a learning experience, but I really had my heart set on some smaller scallion type onions this year.  Keeping my fingers crossed.
 
I was also pleased to see that the hydrangea we bought last year seems to be thriving--it was pretty sad when we bought it, like it had been left in the heat too long or had picked up some sort of fungus.  It was half off so I was willing to take a chance on it,  I'm very happy to see that it made it through the winter.  I'm anxious to see what color it ends up being when it blooms, it was originally blue, but as anyone who grows hydrangeas knows, that can change!!! 
 
Hoping my next report on my gardening efforts is with a photo of a yummy salad :) 

3 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Oh that's so exciting! I am off to plant my first round of bean seeds today actually. Woo hoo!

Are you familiar with succession planting? Things like beans and radishes grow quickly. So you can sow a new round of seeds every two weeks or so to ensure that you will be able to harvest for a longer period of time. If you have another space to plant beans, you might think about trying it to give yourself a larger crop to snack on. This will be my first year really paying attention to things like this but I hope it means I grow LOTS. :)

KK

Flo said...

That's a great idea K, I will have to keep that in mind for next year--I am limiting myself to strictly containers thanks to our crazy deer population, I will have to work on collecting some more for next year if this is successful.

dan said...

I wish I had a garden!