A blog about "nothing"!

Monday, June 24, 2013

Hulu/HuluPlus--hmmmm.......................

I thought Hulu was a pretty cool concept--lots of free movies and television if you don't mind a few commercials.  The only drawback is you can't stream Hulu in it's free version with a streaming device, the only way you can watch it free is by watching it on your computer.  You can hook up an HDMI enabled computer to an HDMI enabled TV and watch it that way, but no remote control (unless you have one of the very few laptops that had this option).  However, if you spend $7.99 a month, you can upgrade to HuluPlus which not only gives you the ability to stream via a device instead of just a computer, but it also unlocks some additional TV shows that are only available to HuluPlus members.  I was willing to give it a try for a month.

Let me just say that it was a huge disappointment for a variety of reasons.  First off, if I'm paying for this service, I don't think I should have to endure the commercials.  There aren't as many, but they are still there.  There are still a lot of shows that can't be streamed to a television except by a computer.  And the streaming via a device is dreadful!   Constant interruptions, and the commercials stream even slower, by the time it is over with, you aren't even sure what the commercial was for--it's that bad.  2 minutes worth of commercials can take as long as 3 minutes to get through due to the hiccups, and you can't fast forward through them.  Ridiculous.  Streaming via computer seems to be a little better except for the commercials, still a mess.  Pathetic.

Needless to say, I have already cancelled this membership.  They are very fair with their cancellation policy, you can put it through early and still use it until the actual end date.  I've had memberships for other things like this where it was immediate, so I thought this was one of the few good things HuluPlus had going for it.  There are a couple of shows I will continue to watch via Hulu because they aren't available anywhere else, but I will use Netflix for most things.  I tried several different things to try and improve the quality, but gave up after I did some online research and found that the issues I was experiencing were common.  I hope that they improve this service, I would be willing to subscribe again if they can resolve these problems. 

My assessment on Hulu/HuluPlus--great idea, poorly executed.  Back to the drawing board!  Don't waste your money. 

1 comment:

Brittney S said...

I agree w/ Hulu Plus, weve "Tried" it twice an it was so SLOW both times, we had thought when we got a blue raye player that streamed it would make it easier, it did NOT. I do watch a few shows on Hulu on the computer, but not too often.