A blog about "nothing"!

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

How does your garden grow???

At the beginning of the month I posted some pictures of my "gardening"--things are progressing well except for the green beans.  They are still growing, but I think the container I have them in is holding too much water as they aren't thriving the way I think they should.  We will see.  In the meantime I have tiny little onion tops poking up through the ground, fingers crossed that they survive.  Lots of little tomatoes formed now and peppers too.  However, I expect to get my first pickings this weekend off my lettuce--whoo hooo!  Here is what it looked like on June 3:
 
 
And this is what it looks like this morning:
 
I definitely would call it a successful planting!  I'm thinking I might even pull a little bit off Thursday morning to add to a sandwich for the hubby to take to work.   We will see, I almost hate to start pulling it off, it looks so pretty :)
 
In April I went to the doctor for my wonky knee, I was starting to get very tired of the pain.  I ended up getting an injection of cortisone in it and a higher dose of anti-inflammatory and it has helped tremendously.  That said, I knew that I really needed to do something about my weight as well to help not just with my knee, but my overall well-being.  I am not a big fan of any kind of fad diet, while they seem like a good idea at the time, trying to make them a permanent lifestyle change isn't always feasible and in some cases not even a good thing for long term health.  I ran across a thing on Pinterest that I found very interesting--it's more about counting calories and balancing it with your activity level.  My goal is to lose about a pound a week--I am now in the 8-10 pound loss range--yay!  And I'm not even closely counting, with a bit more lee-way on the weekends.  I've got a long way to go to get where I want to be, but it really does help when you can actually see some progress and in the way you were hoping to do it.  I can definitely tell that my pants are fitting differently, I'm hoping that next year at this time, NONE of my wardrobe will fit me anymore and that I can donate/consign it all :)  I need to get the seat on my bike fixed, I'm hoping to start riding it to help increase my activity level. 
 
Check out the website:  http://www.nowloss.com/how-to-lose-weight-keep-it-off-permanently.htm  Lots of good, common sense information!  

 

2 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Counting calories is WAY better than any diet. It's what professional athletes do. Being in the garden is good for you too. Congrats for being on the right track!

And as far as cutting the lettuce... A lot of lettuce/greens will grow again after being cut. So you might encourage new growth by using some of it!

Enjoy!
KK

dan said...

I am sure that your gardening is going to give you great satisfactions. My rule about eating healty is : a lot of fresh vegetables and fruit . . . and it really works!