A blog about "nothing"!

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Ah, the 80's!

I'm definitely a product of the 80's.  I graduated in 1982, so I'm one of those people whose childhood/coming of age actually spanned two decades.  What an interesting two decades they were! 

One of my favorite television shows which I think acurately depicts what growing up at that time period was like is "Freaks and Geeks".  It was only on for one season, but has become a cult favorite, I'm sure largely in part to people like me.  The then unknown actors in it have gone on to so many other projects--it's like a "who's who" of young Hollywood--Jason Segal, James Franco, Linda Cardellini, Busy Phillips, Seth Rogan--all incredibly talented, along with so many others who have gone on to successful careers.  I often wonder what the heck NBC was thinking when they cancelled it. 

Available on Netflix, it's a must watch series for anyone else who grew up then.  Last night we were watching it and I had to laugh when I saw one of the students carrying a book covered in a grocery bag cover--remember doing that?  My friend Joanne kicked it up a notch and used wrapping paper for hers.  It got me to thinking about all the other things they have picked up on, the crew who worked on this show paid such an incredible amount of attention to detail, and it just adds that much more to the show.

What are some things you immediately think of when you think of the late 70's/early 1980's?  Some of the things that come to mind for me:

Disco (and disco sucks!)
Flannel shirts (long before grunge was in)
Dark paneling in the living room
Orange or green kitchens
Shag carpet
8 track tapes (god, I hated when the song was split in the middle!)
Dungeons and Dragons
Steve Martin
Station Wagons
Pink Floyd, Rush and the Grateful Dead
Teachers having a smoking lounge in school (gasp!)
AMC Pacers

3 comments:

dan said...

I remember the 80's too! Here in Italy the clothes had huge shoulder pads!!

Wendy said...

Omg- I love this post! I graduated in 86 and I --love-- Freaks and Geeks BECAUSE it's the closest thing I've seen to what our youth was like.

As for your list, I'm going to respectfully add: Zeppelin, mopeds, ET, Star Wars, Grease, Saturday Night Fever (but ya, disco does suck), Body On Tap shampoo, The Love Boat, Charlie's Angles, The student smoking area (yep, we had a designated area), macrame -everywhere- and my favorite -playing outside until it got dark.

We were so lucky to grow up when we did! :)

Flo said...

Wendy--those are some great additions to the list! I love the way the kids dress in Freaks and Geeks, much closer to what we were in school than some other 80's shows. And Dan--how could I forget the shoulder pads! I blame that all on "Dynasty"!