A blog about "nothing"!

Friday, May 24, 2013

Thrifting.....with a purpose!

Shopping at thrift stores can be a lot of fun, especially when you come across a treasure you didn't expect to find.  I can only think of one thing better than that--finding a great deal on something you've been looking for!  Yesterday I went with my friend Paris to the two Red White and Blue stores in Pittsburgh.  I got her hooked on thrift store shopping last year and she's been wanting to check these stores out.  She did quite well, getting items for her, hubby and her two (soon to be three) grandbabies. 

I did very well too, I spent all of $32 and not only found a couple of great deals, but also a couple of things I'd been hoping to find.  Given the craziness of the past week, I felt I needed to buy the hubby something to cheer him up, and I found this Pittsburgh Pirate cap for a whopping 95 cents:
 
Did you ever get rid of something, only later to think "why did I do that?"  I've done that a couple of times, and one of the things I got rid of was my Hootie & The Blowfish CD.  I don't know what I was thinking, I at least got some cash for it when I did, but still.  So I was excited to find it for $1.95--and it doesn't have a single scratch on it, whoever had it is as picky about caring for their CD's as I am!  I also found a VHS copy of Monty Python and the Holy Grail for 95 cents--awesome!  Lee has never seen the entire movie, so I will have to plan a night around it. 
 
I got a couple of very nice clothing items.  I really don't need much for summer so I was keeping my eyes peeled for items for autumn.  One advantage of shopping for off season clothing is it tends to be marked cheaper, and combine that with a 50% day and you can score some major bargains.
 
First off, a very nice Denim & Company t-shirt, brand new (it still has that "brand new shirt smell").  QVC is still selling these, a set of 2 runs about $34 total by the time you add S&H, so I got a $17 shirt for $2.95--not too shabby.  I loved the color too :)
 
Two very nice sweaters for fall with the tags still on!  A striped Liz Claiborne Sweater and a tan colored Croft & Barrow short sleeve mock-neck.  The Liz Claiborne Sweater was probably around $50 originally and the Croft & Barrow sweater runs around $14.  Both were marked $5.95, but they were the right color to be 50% off--so I got them each for $2.98.  I will put them away for cooler weather, it will be like finding them all over again when I switch out my wardrobe. 

 
One of my favorite things about shopping in thrift stores is finding clothing brands that no longer exist.  One of my all time favorites was the JCPenney brand St. John's Bay.  I found this awesome pair of khaki shorts (they look like they were barely worn) for $3.95.  They are a bit on the small side at the moment, but I am working on losing some serious weight and at the rate I am going, I am hopeful that these will fit me sometime before the summer is out.  I also found this lovely sleeveless mockneck, it will go perfectly under a wool blazer I found last year.  It also was only $3.95!

 
Now on to the "things I was looking for"--someone must have donated a rather large collection of Webkinz, and they had them divided up in to bags of 4 for $2.95.  I found a bag that had one I had been wanting--I'm not a Webkinz collector but this one had special meaning.  First off, Laney talked me out of this goofy frog from the bag, she loved it:
 
Then this goofy looking cat and dog--not sure what I'm going to do with them, they are a bit too fuzzy for her to play with, I may give them to my niece or re-donate them.  I haven't decided yet. 
 
And the reason I wanted this particular bag--now it's obvious, isn't it?!?!?!
 
And now for the "find of the day"--I have a wedding to go to in a couple of weeks and I wanted a pair of sandals in a particular style and color to wear.  I've been looking for several months, so I was thrilled when I came across these lovely sling backs--they are Easy Spirit brand, and when I turned them over to check the size, they appeared to be brand new!  I'm rather picky about buying shoes, I have foot issues to begin with, I couldn't believe my luck.  $7.95 for a pair of shoes that were probably $50 - $75 originally is a great deal, and I figure if I don't like them after wearing, I can take them to the consignment store to unload them afterwards.  YAY!!
 
Let's review--13 items for $32--that works out to about $2.50 per item.  Ballpark figure had I bought all of these items at full retail--somewhere between $200 and $250.  As Heather says, "Only fools pay full retail!!!" 
 
Now I am back to "behaving" and cleaning out some more.  I'm getting there, but it is nice to have a day out with a friend AND score some great bargains. 
 
To all of my American friends, Happy Memorial Day!  Have a great weekend everyone! 
 

4 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Great finds! I've never heard of a Webkinz but I obviously LOVE the little sheltie! So cute!!

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Well done Flo! Shoes aren't easy to find in like new condition. Those Webkinz are so cute. I'm sure you'll find a home for the couple that you don't think you want to keep.

Sue xo

dan said...

Nice picks, it was a good job! Funny:you have found a bag which looks like your dog!

Wendy said...

Great scores! I just picked up 2 pairs of St. Johns Bay cords for $3.50 a piece. Um, they don't fit (yet... but they will. It's a matter of losing 10 lbs - they're motivation.) but I couldn't pass them up for the price. :)

Enjoy your finds!