A blog about "nothing"!

Friday, May 3, 2013

Spring Has Sprung!!!

We've had a major delay of spring here in the northeast thanks to the strange jet stream, but I think it is really finally here to stay!  My poor daffodils were wrecked this year because of it, and I noticed that the magnolia blooms only were good for about a day until the frost got them--grrrr!!!  However, the cherry blossoms and crab apple blossoms seem to have survived, yay!  We have this tree in our front yard and most of the year it is just plug ugly, the leaves are nasty looking, the bark is really super gnarly, but for about 3 - 5 days a year, it looks really good.  I remember when we had our house inspection it was in full bloom and I thought "oh, how pretty"--ha ha.  Today is one of those 3 - 5 days of the year, so I thought I would share:

 
Notice the chair sitting out by the curb--we have been sitting it out there off and on since we cleaned the garage on Saturday with a "Free" sign on it, and no one wants it, poor little chair.  I'm thinking I need to put it in my car and take it to Goodwill instead.  It would be a great chair for a kids room as it sits low to the ground--which is why I don't want it ;)
 
When I was growing up my parents always had a garden, a HUGE garden.  My mom canned and froze a lot of it.  While I have no aspirations of anything quite like that, I do have to admit that there is nothing quite as good as a home grown veggie.  Our first year here we tried growing tomatoes in one of those Topsy Turvy things.  Worked great, but everytime we started to see a tomato forming, it "disappeared".  Turns out we have a huge deer population in this neighborhood (who would have thought in town?!) and they are hell on gardens.  The neighbor across the street told us not to even try to plant a garden because they are so bad.  It certainly explained why the only garden in the neighborhood not only has fence around it, but on top as well. 
 
I wasn't about to give up totally, so this year I decided I would try doing some container gardening.  That way if they start to pester it, I can at least drag them in to the garage at night to protect them.  I had done container gardening in the past with a reasonable amount of success and between things I found on Pinterest and some advice from a friend who does this all the time (thanks Marcy!) I think I am ready to go.
 
The big blue container is going to have a couple green bean plants in it, the two smaller ones are tomatoes and the built in planter will be onions.  I'm deliberately planting "hot" type items in the built ins since I can't exactly take them in at night, and I'm hoping the hotness will deter any midnight snacks!

This long planter will have some leaf lettuce in it.  I am hoping to get two crops out of it with my packet of seeds. 
My banana pepper plants in our other built in.  I think two plants will be more than enough to keep us supplied for a couple of recipes I want to make.
 
As much as I hate to admit it, I had to buy tomato and pepper plants.  I bought seeds and tried to start them, but didn't realize until it was too late that my seed starter was no good anymore.  :(  I got absolutely nothing, I've never had THAT happen before, that's what makes me think that it was more of a case of bad seed starter as opposed to bad seeds.  I'll try them again next year and hope for the best, but in a new bag of seed starter!  I've also never tried planting onions from seed before, so this will be an interesting experience.  Wish me luck!  I'm really looking forward to some fresh veggies, according to the planting instructions we should have tomatoes about mid-June.  MMMMMM!
 
Have a great weekend everyone, I hope the weather is as nice where you are as it is here right now!!!

3 comments:

Beth Dunn said...

That tree is stunning. Hope your plants grow a ton!
xoxo
SC

dan said...

Delay of spring here too!(Northwest of Italy).
Your trees are very beautiful. They have made me remember my parents' garden . . .

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

I buy my tomato plants too. I buy mine at my local farmer's market, and I buy the ones labeled heirloom, so I pretend they are grown from grandma's seeds. Fair enough, right?

Sue xo