A blog about "nothing"!

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Travel Thrifting........

Poor Lee, he didn't know what he was in for when he agreed to check out thrift stores while we were in North Carolina.  I was excited to see that there were so many in the area we were staying, but there is a downside to that--more thrift stores mean fewer items per store which means fewer GOOD items per store.  In comparison the thrift stores we have around here are SuperStores!  We still did well though, and I think Lee was starting to get in to it a bit--not totally--but enough that he found two great items that I had overlooked.

Our first stop yielded the best number of finds in one place--3.  The rest were 1 here and there with us leaving empty handed a lot of places we stopped.  However, we did realize that this particular area is primarily vacation homes and a lot of the stuff in some of these shops was geared towards someone who is trying to furnish one of these homes on the cheap.  I'm all for that!

Stop number 1--
 A lovely little Pfaltzgraff bowl.  I was excited, I bought two in this size a couple of months ago in a different pattern and they are constantly in use and I've been looking for more since.  Unfortunately it was the only one :(  $1.50 was reasonable enough though since they go on Ebay for anywhere from $7 to $16.
 A Christmas Ornament from the Mount Vernon Ladies Association--Lee spotted this and I was thrilled as I am very familiar with MVLA.  I'm a George Washington history fanatic, so this had to come home.  It still had the original pricetag on it of $12--these annual ornaments sell for around $19 now at the MVLA store at Mount Vernon, I paid $3-yay!!  I don't think it ever saw a tree. 
A brand new pair of shorts with the tags still on for Lee, all of $4, and they fit him perfectly. 
We took a drive up to Wilmington one day and I noticed a rather large thrift store--unfortunately it was mostly clothing and sorted by color instead of size.  I didn't want to make Lee and Laney wait in the car forever, so I skipped clothing looking, but I did find this neat little ceramic jar.  I've seen this pattern somewhere else--if someone knows who made it I would love to hear, it has no markings on it.  I thought it would be perfect for Q-tips in the bathroom or bedroom, or perhaps for some of my smaller make-up brushes.  $1.50 seemed a good price too since it is immaculate.
 
Back to closer to our Oak Island "home", I found this pretty Chaps brand shirt in a consignment store for $8--did a little search on Ebay and found the same shirt for twice the price, and found that it originally sold for $45!  I wanted it to go with an odd olive colored pair of pants I have already.  Perfect match!
A pretty Sag Harbor skirt for $3--I have it folded so I could get it on the table, but you get the general idea of what it looks like.  I have a wedding to go to in June and I think it will look great with a sweater I already have. 
Last but not least, another one of Lee's finds--the entire season 3 set on VHS of "All Creatures Great and Small"--all but one of the tapes was still in the celophane!!!  We are big fans of the show and probably one of the few people on the planet who still own a VCR so we were thrilled--and even more so when it was only $3!!!! 
 
After we got home Lee was busy figuring out what he needed for his lawn care for the spring season.  We took a run to a store that had lawn food on sale and I said since we were there and so close, I wanted to run to a Goodwill near there.  Looky, looky--a Longaberger bread basket (which I didn't already have) for $2.99.  I couldn't grab it fast enough ;)
 I made a liner for it out of a fat quarter I already had, I still need to add some ribbon ties to it, but you get the basic idea. 
 
And finally--something that isn't a thrift find, but fell in love with it and decided Laney absolutely had to have it:
Yes, it's a leash and collar with the nautical alphabet on it!  There was the nicest pet supply store in North Carolina next to one of the thrift stores we stopped at, and they had all of these fun designs for collars and leashes in a variety of preppy styles.  I had a hard time picking one out.  Best part is that they are made in the United States!  After I got home I checked and the entire alphabet is in the design, cool!
 
Thanks for stopping by!  Today I am linking up with The Nifty Thrifty and Joyful Treasure Hunting , stop by and check out the great finds there :) 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Wendy said...

You guys scored! I have yet to thrift outside of the two counties that are in driving distance. Now you've got me wondering what I might find. :)

Beth Dunn said...

LOVE the bowl. great finds
xoxo
SC