A blog about "nothing"!

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Busy, Busy.....

Since we got home from vacation we've been busy around here--nothing very exciting, but busy nonetheless.  Lee has been busy with yard stuff, putting on lawn food and killing off dandelions.  I've been trying to sell stuff on Ebay--I say trying because this hasn't been one of my better months.  In fact if I had used the first week for the month as a benchmark of what to expect, I would have thrown in the towel, I made a whopping $10!  I don't know what was up with that, it has picked up, but it was frustrating, I am sick of looking at these Barbie dolls and was starting to think she had really bottomed out. 

Before we went on vacation I was getting the urge to do some sewing, I had a couple of ideas in my head, but I had my sewing machine blocked with vacation stuff--oops!  Probably just as well because by the time I was done my dining room was completely totalled.  It's all clean now, but for a few days it was touch and go.

My first project was a small tote bag, inspired by a post from Muffy Aldrich's Daily Prep blog where she showed her personal collection.  I had been tossing around some ideas already, but the photos gave me just the kick I needed.  I look at this tote as a bit of a prototype for some future bags I want to make. 
 
Then I made this liner for the Longaberger basket I found at Goodwill--I had posted a pic of it earlier, but I hadn't totally finished it, here it is with the ribbons on it.
 
A while back I bought a piece of adorable material that I really wanted to make a bag out of, and after a lot of perusing Etsy and other places for ideas, this is what I came up with:






 
Now that I've carried it for a week, I've figured out a couple of things I would do differently.  Overall though I was pretty happy with how it turned out, and I learned a couple of good tricks in the process.  Isn't that what prototypes are for? 
 
It wasn't the best week of thrifting, but they all can't be.  I went to a thrift store about 10 minutes from here and found this neat scarf.  Not sure if I'm going to keep it, gift it or sell it, but I thought it was a good buy at 99 cents!
 
I went to an estate sale and 2 yard sales--what a bust those were.  Lots of junk, I am amazed at some of the stuff people try to sell.  Oh well, hopefully I will have better luck next time.  I did find this nice blue jar, it has a little bit of damage but for what I want it for that doesn't really matter.  I got a chuckle out of the lid that was on it too, a bit more entertaining than the zinc lids that are usually found on these.
 
I am trying to decide if I want to go to the huge sale about 30 minutes from here that benefits an organization called Angels For Animals this weekend--I finally broke down yesterday and went to the doctor for my knee.  I've been gimping around on it now for too long, and I've been concerned that I have further deterioration.  I ended up with a shot of cortisone in it and I'm waiting to see how it responds to that before I make up my mind about the sale--it is HUGE, starts tomorrow and runs the whole weekend.  It's kind of neat how they run it, tomorrow morning if you show up for the opening it is $5 to get in for the "first pick" stuff, then starting tomorrow afternoon it's $1 for the rest of the weekend with Sunday being "take all" day.  It fills up several large buildings at the fairgrounds, we've never been to it but have debated several times, it is an annual event.  Time will tell! 

4 comments:

Wendy said...

i can relate to the Ebay thing, if I'm lucky I'll make $5.00 this week, lol... But I guess it's 5 more than U started with, right? :) You really can sew!!! Your pieces are beautiful!

Flo said...

Thanks Wendy! I've been sewing since I was 7 and my mom was an excellent seamstress as is my eldest sister, so I get it honestly. Had my mom been born in a different generation she could have been a successful designer in NYC, she was so good at not only sewing, but doing her own "knock offs" of stuff she saw and liked.

Gwen said...

Oh wow, I didn't realize you'd been sewing so much! Cute bags!

What are you going to do with the blue mason?

Flo said...

Gwen, I'm thinking that I'm going to put it in my kitchen and store my opened seed packets in. It has a minor boo boo that renders it too dangerous to use for food storage.