A blog about "nothing"!

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Best Recipes of 2012

This year I really branched out in my cooking.  I don't know what prompted it, I really think it was a couple of things--primarily joining Pinterest, but also just getting tired of eating the same stuff all the time, and watching too much of the Food Network!  I can honestly say that there was only one that was really a heavy duty bomb, it's not often my husband will tell me to toss something in the trash, but that's where it ended up.  I don't even have it bookmarked anymore, so I can't share it, but it was a crock pot mac and cheese recipe that was just plain disgusting.

So here are the top 5 recipes I discovered in 2012--I hope perhaps you can find something you like in them!  We have tried them all and they are all keepers--and all of these ones are gluten free to boot!

5)  Oven Baked Parmesan Fries--these are delicious and I especially like them with a dollop of sour cream.  It also had me buy a new spice--Old Bay Seasoning--which I had never tried before, but I'm hooked!  I even made this with frozen french fries with good results. 
http://playwithsugar.blogspot.com/2009/07/oven-baked-parmesan-seasoned-fries.html

4)  Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce--I love anything I can toss in the crock pot and walk away from and this recipe is truly a winner.  I did do a little bit of experimenting with it--cut the meat and the sugar by 1/2 and added 1/4 of extra virgin olive oil--and it is still really very good.  It also freezes exceptionally well.
http://realmomkitchen.com/907/slow-cooker-bolognese-sauce/

3)  Peanut Butter Pie With No Bake Cookie Crust--this all started because of a dinner out.  One of our favorite places from where we used to live has this on their dessert menu and we drove there not so much for dinner, but because I was craving this!  Afterwards I decided that there had to be a recipe for this somewhere online and I was right, and this particular recipe is spot on to what they served.  What I really like about it is it makes a lot and can be frozen for an extended period of time.
http://www.food.com/recipe/Peanut-Butter-Pie-With-No-Bake-Cookie-Crust-292298

2) Gluten Free Peach Crisp--My recipe for apple crisp came up missing, not sure what happened, so I started poking around Pinterest looking for something similar.  I came across this and not only was it similar to what I had, but is actually WAY better.  I've made it with apples, fresh peaches, frozen peaches and combination of peaches and blackberries as well as making it in a sugar free version using Splenda for the hubby--and they all turned out good.  I did leave the nuts out as I am allergic.  I have three bags of frozen peaches sitting in my freezer right now waiting........
http://www.thekitchn.com/craving-summer-recipe-gluten-f-142937

And the number one recipe for 2012 is......................................

Crack potatoes!!!!!  So named because they are so addictive, and I can't believe how stinkin' easy they are to make!  I made a batch of these for our Christmas Eve get together and everyone raved about them.  They reheat very well too and not a single hash brown went to waste ;)  Hubby also voted this as his favorite recipe find of the year! 
http://www.justaddasliceoflove.blogspot.com/2011/12/crack-potatoes.html

Happy New Year and Bon Appetite! 

No comments: