A blog about "nothing"!

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Catalogs--ugh!!

Living out in boonie land, I have always used mail order regularly. My mom was almost fanatic, so we have always had an accumulation of catalogs. I guess I never realized just how many until we moved out and still got all these darned catalogs at the old house. The last straw for me however was when ones all of a sudden started arriving for my dad--he's been dead for 22 years, and he never lived at that address!!! I suspect that someone got his name out of my mom's obituary for a mailing list, but never bothered to read the entire obit where it stated he was dead. Grrrrr..................

I spent some time trying to figure out what to do about this because I couldn't have mail building up in the mailbox in between my trips to check the house. I started by calling each company and having the name removed and then tearing the back off the catalog so I know which ones I'd called already. Well, it is now just over four months since I started this little "project". To say it has been interesting is putting it mildly. It took a little bit, but I did start to see a significant reduction in the number of catalogs after my initial push. Over the holidays I didn't do much with it, but after the beginning of the year, I decided to go after it again. I'm proud to say that there was actually one week this month that we didn't get a single catalog--whoohoo!!! This week there was one, and there was one last week and it was from one of the last places I called. A lot of these places said that it could take up to 90 days before I would quit getting catalogs, some places use other companies to print and mail them. I can deal with that.

Part of this was just out of frustration. The other part of it was because I felt a certain responsibility to the environment. Sure, I could have easily put a forward on my mail and let the post office toss them in the trash for me. But that doesn't solve the problem, does it? It just becomes someone elses problem. I wonder how many hoardes of unnecessary catalogs are tossed away because of this?

The companies I won't do business with anymore because they seem to have no disregard are only two. One is a conglomerate of a bunch of catalogs--Potpourri, Catalog Favorites, Serengeti, The Stitchery and a bunch of other ones are all distributed by this same company. I sent them an e-mail back in November, and didn't get any for a while and then all of a sudden I started getting them again, so sent another nasty e-mail, and informed them that I would cease shopping with them because of their lack of environmental concern. The other one that I will not buy from (either catalog or retail) may surprise all of you--Eddie Bauer. Surprised me too, they are supposed to be so nature oriented. I've called twice, and I'm still getting catalogs, got another today. I tried, and they didn't listen, so I will forget they exist. I've been a good customer of theirs too, and that's why I'm posting this because I think EVERYONE needs to know that they are a bit of a fraud. I'll be cutting up my frequent buyer card today.

For some of you reading this, it may be a re-run from another posting I had at another site. Apologies if you have already read it. I just wanted to post it in a more public forum to get the word out about this.

No comments: